Logging too many times into iChat? Please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aleera, Dec 23, 2008.

1. aleera macrumors newbie

Okay, this is driving me crazy.

I'm sure this is NOT a new question, so let me assure you experts that I have tried pretty much every suggestion ever made for this problem I'm having: I've waited hours, and when I try logging on to iChat, it still gives me the "you have tried to log on too often in a short amount of time" or whatever message.

I have tried:

- Googling the answer, which lead me to everything below
    - changing port to 443
    - changing port back to 5190
    - getting off SSL
    - getting back on SSL
    - deleting com.apple.iChat.plist
    - changing my password (this was when I started giving up)
    - restarting iChat
    - restarting my computer

I have gone to multiple forums and I have not seen any answers different from what I've already tried. Nothing is working, and I don't understand why. I'm not an expert when it comes to fancy terms, I'd really just like a simple "do this, this, and this" way to fix iChat.

I'm considering taking it to an Apple store and just let them "have at it", but here's my complicated situation: I bought this computer from my University campus computer store. If I remember correctly, they'll do what they can to fix my computer for free, and if they can't within two days, I get a new replacement. I do not get charged for any of this. Problem is that I am currently at home for the holidays, and my campus is two hours away in another city.

I could take my computer to the Apple store in the mall, but it's Christmas time, which means long lines and long waits and really big crowds.

The only other thing I have NOT tried is deleting my account/making a whole new one, and that's a hassle for me, and I'm not 100% sure how to do that, even, so I'd like that to be a last resort, please.

If anyone can shed some light on this frustrating bugger of a mystery, I'd be very, very much appreciative of your time, effort, and understanding. Thank you for reading.

This is going to give me wrinkles. P: Also, I'm sorry for blabbing on and on. It's a bad habit.

2. sako94 macrumors regular

im in the same boat as you hopefully someone can answer our problem!