Logic: 1 User + 3 Computers, how many licenses?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Don.Key, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Don.Key macrumors regular

Hello,

Are Logic Studio licenses bound to computer or a user?

I have an official retail license of Logic Studio and 3 Apple Computers. One is used on desktop, another in office and third for travel.

The machines are only used by me and no one else, how many licenses of Logic do I need to be able to run the application on all 3 machines (one instance at the time).

Regards

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is a matter of about 2 minutes of searching on Apple's website...

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/logicpro72.pdf

"2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
    A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to run on more than one computer at a time. The Apple Software is protected by an XSKey (Expandable System Key), which is included with your purchase of the Apple Software. This XSKey enables you to install and use the Apple Software on your Apple-labeled personal computers; however, the XSKey restricts usage to one computer at a time."

You can install it on more than one computer but you have only one USB dongle, and you can only RUN it on one computer at a time.

3. gotzero macrumors 68040

The info above is for Logic 7. Logic Studio changed the license to one laptop and one desktop owned by a single user.

A lot of people really hated the XSKey, and there were times I was not too fond myself (esp when I had to worry about people stealing it), but this is one area where it really shined...

4. Don.Key thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, thanks.

Actually in my case it comes to:

Code:
    2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. 
    A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-labeled desktop computer and one Apple-labeled laptop computer so long as both corun on more than one computer at a time. 

Hummm, so very STRICTLY speaking, if I own 3 computers, I am out of luck and need second copy, same if I have 2 desktops or 2 notebooks.

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

If both of the desktops are in the same place, and you want to keep things legal, run the weaker one as a node :)

I run a Mini C2D as a node for my MPB C2D, and the pair work out fabulously.