Logic 10 or Garageband Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by loby, Apr 16, 2011.

1. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Well...what do you think Apple is up too when it comes to Logic? Will there be a Logic 10 or will Apple retire Logic and go with a Garageband Pro? :confused:

I am debating whether to upgrade from Logic Express to Studio. Should I upgrade or wait?

Also, if Logic 10 does come out...when?

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The upgrade to Studio basically gives you a ton more loops, instruments and content in general. And some additional programs (Waveburner, mainstage, soundtrack pro). If you dont need the extras just stick with Logic Express.

Who knows what Logic 10 will bring. I hope it fixes bugs more than it loads us up with new features. But something called Logic X is bound to be jam packed with newness.

3. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

There's a good chance it will be rewritten to have a similar GUI (and perhaps workflow) to the new Final Cut that was demoed. Apple does like to keep their products streamlined.

4. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

"good chance it will be rewritten to have a similar GUI.."

I agree and think that Apple may change it a bit when Lion OX comes out. Not sure if they will phase out the Logic brand and incorporate into the Garageband brand.

Garageband has its plus if you are a general user, but professionals "may" not run with it with a name "Garageband Pro" or something similar. After all, would you put down on the credits. "Garageband"? Though "hip" in name and is Apple, could be seen as non-professional.

I did some pro stuff years back, and I do say the name "Garageband" sounds cool for the beginner musician, but if you were a "Garageband", then you were mediocre by pro standards and just bugged the neighbors when you practiced for "dreaming" of fame...

Though I think the "Garageband" name for the product is cleaver and appealing, to the professional where names can be important for marketing, maybe Apple should keep the "Logic" name for the Pros. But the market is smaller for the pros, so the "Garageband" image may make them more money, as Apple seems to be more focusing on lately..

Since I am no longer a professional musician (by choice), I will stick (as recommended) with Logic Express. I do not need the "bells and whistles" currently and will wait and see what comes out.

I do like ProTools and have 8Le, but as I get older, I am getting tired of learning another system and would rather concentrate on making music instead of technical stuff now-a-days. Though ProTools looks easier to learn (I came from many years with Cakewalk-Sonar), I think I will stick with Logic Express for now.

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

You think Apple make more money from Garageband than Logic? Garageband is to Logic as iMovie is to Final Cut, I see it as unlikely that they would make Garageband Pro as iMovie Pro as their top software suites.

6. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

I would agree with you, but the Garageband app. for the ipad is making great waves and people are getting exposed to what it can do...and they usually desire more...

I personally hope they stay with Logic and make it the upgrade from Garageband, but Logic and Garageband have different interfaces and GUI.

As I have read, Apple "may" want to get away from the Logic interface to make it consistent with the Apple look, i.e. Garageband flow. Logic has been sort of a separate program since they bought it from another and incorporated it in their family some years back.

Being someone who has learned many programs over the years, I personally get tired of having to learn a new interface when an upgrade comes out. This takes away from what the programs are "suppose to do", in this case - make music.

I desire to learn Logic Express completely, but do not want to take the time "if" Apple changes to a different rewritten interface. Again, I hope they stick with Logic.

7. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I too hope they continue to make Logic even *more* pro and not cater to the lowest common denominator. If they went the way of Garageband and rebranded Logic it would probably be enough to make me switch back to ProTools. That said, I can't see them doing it. They've already done it too much imo w/ the childish graphics for the instruments plus the Garageband browser for loops etc. If they brought some of the graphics more in line I wouldn't care but I love how its a long learning curve, its very powerful once you have most of it under your belt.

I find the mere concept of a Garageband Pro very weak to be honest. It would be a big mistake. Then again, they made 13" MacBooks into "MacBook Pros" so it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

8. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I agree

Logic is like one of those $6000 Roland V-Drum sets.

Garageband is like that drumset people use to play Rock Band

9. Loops macrumors member

I've found the Logic Express interface to be incredibly obtuse... I try to do as much with projects in Garageband as I can before sending them to Logic for final processing/export. I still haven't figured out basic things in Logic, though I've tried.

Garageband's interface has some serious shortcomings and the program is missing some useful features, but it's a lot better than Logic Express 8. I haven't tried more recent versions. I'm also still using Garageband 4.1.2. I took a look at a more recent version and wasn't certain its interface was an improvement.

10. PRPS macrumors member

PRPS

this is what i was thinking as well.:D

11. 6Stringer, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

6Stringer macrumors newbie

My take...

Apple is likely to call the new incarnation Logic X and it will share some interface similarity with Garageband. It seems Apple's goal is to make the user transition easier from mass consumer to pro level; it appears that Final Cut X will share some i/f + workflow elements with iMovie and I expect the Garageband/Logic relationship will follow suit. That said, none of this will diminish the pro capabilities of the next Logic. It would not surprise me if Logic Express will be eliminated and power hungry Garageband users will go directly into Logic X (which will likely be priced at $299 complete).

The three-tiered transition series that is available now- Garageband to Logic Express to Logic Pro Studio exists partly because of the existing price points. These days, Apple seems to care less about fewer users who shell out $499 a copy and would rather have more users who can afford/justify $299. Wasn't Logic Pro Studio $999 in the not too distant past? Look out, Avid! This looks like an Apple effort to gain pro marketshare. There was a time when Adobe got aggressive with pricing to crush Quark (that mission was accomplished). A lower Logic package price point should also mean a more affordable upgrade. To make the transition easier, it would be smart if Apple could create a means for existing Logic users to keep their existing Logic environment intact while learning the new, independently functional version.

Nothing will happen until Lion gets released but that is now set for sometime in July. Final Cut X should follow Lion's release closely and Logic X...I'd be surprised if that doesn't happen by October.

12. loby thread starter macrumors 6502a

loby

Agree that probably Logic will go to Logic X and will be revamped.

Question for those experienced with Logic Express 9. I desire to dive into learning Logic Express 9, but if another version is on its way in the near future, should I not do this if the software will go through a morphing like Final Cut Pro? Logic has a strong learning curve, and I do not mine going through the pain to gain...

Friends of mine said to not waste my time and go with Pro Tools, but I gravitated to Logic instead and want to just learn a solid software and stick with one only.

But...if the powers to be at Apple are planning on a new Logic X, should I put the time in to learn Logic Express 9?

Any suggestions? :)