Logic 8 Academic

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Nahmeanz, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Nahmeanz macrumors regular

I have been told that if I buy this version of Logic 8 I can't upgrade it, but does that mean I can't upgrade it from 8.0 to 8.1, or does it mean I can't upgrade it from 8 to 9? Also is there any difference between the academic and retail versions other than the upgradability? As in, does the academic version come with all the manuals and what not?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Academic cannot upgrade first number versions. 2.x to 3.x no go, 2.x to 2.y good to go. Kinda like OS X, well exactly. Same everything as the full retail version, except you cant make things for profit.

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

If you are buying Logic Studio 8 from Apple Education Store, you actually get a full retail version so upgrading shouldn't be a problem.

4. Nahmeanz thread starter macrumors regular

Logic 8 from the Apple Education Store is different from Logic 8 Academic that they sell at universities. $449 vs. $149, big difference. I just need to know the limitations before I pull the trigger. If the limitation on upgrades is from 8.0 to 9.0, then that doesn't even matter because Logic 8 just came out. I doubt Logic 9 is coming anytime soon. But if the limitation is upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 is not allowed, that would suck. I'm hoping you are right Fearless Leader. I don't really care about not being able to make anything for profit because there's no way anyone can prove whether or not I made it on academic, or even care if I did.

Thanks,
    Mark

5. zygo macrumors member

I have bought Apple Pro software at educational and HE pricing, all online/phone.

All the packages I've received have been standard retail packages with normal upgrade routes.

I had Logic 7, crossgraded to intel 7.2, I have just upgraded to Logic Studio [the first version was bought through the online education store, subsequent upgrades were retail(same price anyway)].

I also bought Final Cut Studio 1 through educational store, have since upgraded to FCS 2 no problem.

As I said all the packages I've received have been retail.

I can't remember if the timing of the purchases fell into standard ed discount or HE though. Only 4 months and no more discounts for me :(

6. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

The PPC to Intel transition they charged, and I have upgraded from an academic 1.0 motion to 2.0 academic, and 3.0 I got in studio 2. so they didn't even enforce their upgrade policies, owell.

7. Nahmeanz thread starter macrumors regular

Just installed Logic 8 and I noticed it never even asked me for a serial number.

8. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I purchased the retail package from my school for $69 as the school has a special agreement with apple for many of their software releases. Free updates are no problem, but I have to purchase the full program when I upgrade in the future.

The agreement may be different if you purchase from Apple at a student discounted rate as the prices are much higher.

9. cmturner2 macrumors member

cmturner2

It's labelled as Academic, so I have the same concern. If I'm left the upgrade option I'm happy to pay $50 more and not get it through the AES.