Logic 8 Studio screen resolution apple 23" 30" display screenshot

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Funky007, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Funky007 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone

I have been using mac rumors for a number of years and think this site is excellent and very informative, however but this is my very first post :)

I am looking to upgrade my whole set up which will include a new display. My concern however is the screen resolution of the display, which will eventually run logic studio.

I saw the new interface Logic studio running on the apple 30" and 23" display at the optimum resolution of the respective monitors.

Does anyone here use Logic with a screen resolution of 1920x1200 on a 23" screen and if so would you be kind enough to upload a screenshot so that I may see it in my natural environment away from the apple store?

I saw logic on a 30" display to and the writing of the fonts in some cases is very difficult to read, :eek: however if anyone uses Logic on this screen size an uploaded screenshot would be so very useful :)

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Regards
    Stephen

2. Funky007 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Sorry, i've only got a 20" screen. I know people here have the larger screens and Logic - I don't know why you can't get anyone interested in posting for you. :rolleyes:

4. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Aren't there a couple of Apple stores in London? Why not just go down there and check it out for yourself? Sounds like a good excuse to go to me! :)

5. Funky007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been to the apple store in London many time, was there a few days ago.

There is a big difference seeing something in store and seeing it in the natural working environments. Screen shots would help me to get some kind of idea of Logic's interface on the different screen size. But doesn’t matter now as I managed to get some elsewhere as full res.

InLikeALion... thanks for your post anyway.

:)

6. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Take a screen grab yourself while in store, and use a webmail service to email the grab to yourself. You could then get whatever screen size and Logic layout that you wanted. Or you could take a thumbdrive in and save the grabs to it.

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

Blank template on one 23" with the windows I use most.

EDIT: Sorry, I did not realize it would thumbnail anyway...

Attached Files:

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Full size shot.

Attached Files:

9. JonasLondon macrumors regular

Hi, I should be able to help out with Dual-Monitor shots of 23 and 30" soon as well, if only Logic Studio arrives here soon.... :)

10. theapex macrumors regular

I wonder how it feels doing much of anything on a large computer screen. I will be working on a 32 inch LCD monitor (actually a TV) by the end of this week...just can't decide which TV I want to get.

if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Erh, you do realise that will be like working on a MacBook Pro screen? Most LCD TVs have a very limited maximum resolution...

12. theapex macrumors regular

please be a little bit more detailed in your response...I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say.

thanks.

13. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Basically, the size of a screen doesn't reflect how much 'space' there is available on the display.

A 32" LCD TV will display less information than an iMac display, as the TV display is designed to work at most with high definition video (which isn't exactly very highly detailed in comparison to the output from a computer).

A 30" Apple Cinema Display will have the same resolution as ~4x LCD TVs put together. A 20" Cinema Display will have a considerable amount more 'workspace' than an LCD TV.

A 32" LCD TV may be larger than even the biggest Apple Cinema Display, but everything will appear much 'larger' on an LCD TV as it can't get anywhere as much detail into each inch of it's screenspace.

14. theapex macrumors regular

That does not seem to be the issue when I connect my Mac Book Pro to my 61 inch rear projection TV. So are you sure that your information is correct...do you have any links or anything to back the statement up? just trying to see what's best at this point.

Also, did you know that once you connect the Mac Book Pro to an external display you get another completely different set of screen resolutions to choose from? I just may have to actually take my computer up there and see if they will let me hook it up and see how it looks.

15. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes I was aware of this, and it's not possible that your rear projection TV is displaying higher resolution than your MacBook Pro display, it's most likely skipping out pixels.

A 720p display which run at 1280 x 720, and a 1080p display will run at 1920 x 1080.

A 20" ACD will be higher res than a 720p display easily, and a 23" display will be higher res than any HDTV. A 30" display will run in much higher resolution than that (2560 x 1600).

16. theapex macrumors regular

The 32inch displays that I am looking at buying right now are all running at 1366 x 768 (also 720p)

I am not doubting the resolution issue that you are saying, but how does that automatically attribute (may have just made up a word...Lol) to not having a larger workspace. Or ever a decent amount of workspace?

Why would companies put PC inputs on TVs if there was no real advantage in making that connection?

Even saying that, my initial reason behind trying to go for a larger monitor was the simple fact of making it larger on the screen for me. I can see very well (I guess lol). But the way my home studio is set up the MacBook has to sit too far from where I'd like it to be. I mean it is just on the opposite side of my desk from where I am sitting. If you want to see pictures, I can post. Maybe someone can help me do something different. But I just want it to be larger. Maybe a little more workspace would be good, but that is not my primary reason.

Also, I'd looked at buying the new 24inch Gateway monitor...but that bad boy is $550. And when I thought about the fact that I could almost buy a 32 inch TV for that price....(it seems like a no brainer to me) The monitor can only be used for computer stuff...while the TV could double as a TV and a monitor. And I'd get another 8 inches of screen.

17. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Post pictures of your studio. It may be worth doing a bit of moving-things-around. I did this recently and found things were much better (sonically as well as workspace usability).

18. theapex macrumors regular

would I need to post them somewhere else first? or can I just attach them on here somehow?

19. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes, you can attach them directly to the forum. If they are JPEGs they can be up to 1.14 mb.

Scroll down and click the 'manage attachments' button in the boxed area below the 'Reply To Thread' box. You can upload up to 5 images at the same time. They will automatically appear below your post =]

20. theapex macrumors regular

hey my man, it keeps on saying file failed to upload....any other options.

21. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Imageshack is a good way of doing it. Paste in the 'show image on forums' text into a post here in this thread (I think it's labelled as that anyways, it's relatively obvious).

22. theapex macrumors regular

23. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Only vertically. A 23" or 24" display for a computer is nearly always 1920 x 1200, and a 1080p HDTV is 1920 x 1080. So yes, it has 120 more lines on the screen, but the horizontal width is the same. Your statement is a bit disingenuous.

Other than that I have no qualms. :p

24. Adrien Baker macrumors regular

The "resolution issue" he is saying directly attritibutes to why you wouldn't have as much work space. It's simple. It's math!

Now if you're just blind an need to see a BIGGER picture, but not as much usable space, ableit smaller--then fine.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_resolution

Adrien

25. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

A much better investment than a new display would be a sensibly sized MIDI controller, something from M-Audio or Alesis. Put this on your sliding drawer under the table (so choose one that fits snugly) and move the MBP towards you. I'd also put the speakers the 'normal' way up, at that kinda distance you want to try and align the drivers vertically if possible, and get them as far apart as possible (standing upright and a smidge further apart should help).

Move the Roland onto a stand behind the Korg and get them all MIDI'd up if they aren't already (an M-Audio Midiman 2x2 should do the trick).