Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Nah. Maintenance releases are done independently of big new versions, and this bug was serious enough that they had to fix it on Logic 9. Just look at the OS, they almost always have the last update to the old version around the same time as the release of the new one (sometimes after it).

Maybe 10 is months off, maybe just around the corner. But for anyone outside of apple, it's just a guess and x.x.8 releases aren't an indication either way.

C

champ01

Nah. Maintenance releases are done independently of big new versions, and this bug was serious enough that they had to fix it on Logic 9. Just look at the OS, they almost always have the last update to the old version around the same time as the release of the new one (sometimes after it).

Maybe 10 is months off, maybe just around the corner. But for anyone outside of apple, it's just a guess and x.x.8 releases aren't an indication either way.

Yes the bug was so serious that it took Apple more then 2 years to fix it. :D

Where the .... is the new Logic or should I say the new garageband?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Where the .... is the new Logic or should I say the new garageband?

I want to buy Logic, but I don't want to buy 9 and then a few days/weeks later comes Logic X, which has been long rumored to be coming anytime. 3 years has been a long time for Logic to stay on one version number.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I think a major update is overdue, but Logic 9 is still an amazing piece of software and up there with the competition. Remember that when the rumored X version is released, it will most likely be a "reboot" similar to that of Final Cut. I bought Logic (and Mainstage) last year the day it hit the App Store and I'm glad I have finally learned to use it fairly well and developed a workflow and for that I'll be sticking with 9 for quite some time even if and when X is released. I think many people will wait just like it was reasonable to wait for Final Cut X to mature.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
I agree that Logic is still competitive in a lot of ways. DP finally went 64 bit and PT still hasn't yet, we may see Logic 10 before we see 64 bit Pro Tools.

I'm doubtful Logic 10 will be a reboot like FCX. In that case they wrote a whole new app from scratch (because they had to), no reason to do that with Logic.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
Actually I think you're right, milo. There's no reason to rewrite the app - it already is 64bit, hence modern. But who knows, maybe they will want to appeal more to the prosumer market and come up a complete redesign. Then again, there will always be GarageBand for that (which is actually a compelling prosumer product if you know how to use it well and many pro musicians use it as a "sketchbook" before they move the project to Logic).

PT are still 32bit only? :eek:

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
I think they probably do want to make Logic easier to learn and use, but they can probably do that without a complete redesign.

PT are still 32bit only? :eek:

Yes, they released PT 10 about a year ago and it was 32 bit but supposed to be a "step" to 64 bit (which including needing to replace all their plugin formats with new ones).

Tokenboomer

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
Logic 10

It's hard to keep things apple-simple in a pro app when you have to have a competing feature set. Logic will always have a steep learning curve. I think Logic 10 will certainly lose the environment, gain a revamped sampler because of the Redmatica acquisition, gain a melodyne type plug in and perhaps a serious sample-manipulation synth. A lot of the EXS samples are pretty tired and need to be updated. That means a major upgrade probably of comparable magnitude to the 7 to 8 jump.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
I don't know about the environment, taking that out would be a major deal breaker for a number of users, it's the one thing that Logic has that nobody else does. Personally I'd like to see it stay since novice users don't ever need to see it anyway, but be supplemented by things like midi plugins for arpeggiators and other functions like that.

And I don't think EXS is really that relevant any more. At this point most developers have gone to Kontakt or other sampling engines, and I don't think it's likely many would come back to a plugin that only runs on one app and one OS.

Definitely improved pitch and time and probably new instruments, plugins, and content. But I'd be most excited about making the whole thing more efficient and stable and adding the right features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.