Logic 9 can't handle more than 2GB RAM on a MAC PRO

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seisend, Jan 11, 2010.

1. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Hi, I already posted this in the audio section of this forum, but I experienced that some important threads arent getting a lot of attention there. But I know that there are many people here who are using logic so I post this in the Mac Pro section.

As we know, logic runs still in 32bit and it can use maximal 4GB of ram in a Logic Project. But I get all the time when I have around 1.9 - 2.0 GB of RAM use an error message on my Mac Pro (12GB):

"Memory is getting low:

You can still continue to work, but try to avoid adding plug-ins. If possible, remove any unused plug-ins"

-----

When I hit a bit more than 2GB of ramspace, logic quits itself !

Why is that, does anyone know ? Shouldn't I be able to use up to 4gb ram ?? What do you guys experience, it really annoys me because I am really getting to the limit in many projects and 2GB is just too low. I expect at least a minimum of 3-4 GB usage of ram in a modern audio sequenzer !

Is there any way to fix it?
    How much ram can you guys use ?

Attached Files:

2. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

I've never seen that message before in all my sessions.

Right now I'm on a 38 track mix on my MBP (core 2 duo) I added 25 ultrabeat tracks with 8 plugins on each - till the 'real memory' used went above 2 gb - it worked fine. When I added more.. it will play, but stop while displaying a 'system overload' message - but not the more memory required message.

I'm using Logic 8 btw.. but that shouldn't matter. You must have changed something in the logic settings or somewhere else? :confused:

My MBP has 4 gb ram

3. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

The "system overload" message is because of CPU and HDD overload. Logic 8 has the Memory limit too, but as far I know there is no warning message. Logic 8 does simply turn off your plug-ins without warning message itself.

4. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

Apple just released with Logic 9.1 a 64 bit update !!!

I'm gonna test now if this will work.

edit:

Logic Pro 9.1: Some features may not be available in 64-bit mode

Symptoms:
    When you are working with Logic Pro 9.1 in 64-bit mode, some features might not be available.

Resolution
    You can switch Logic between 32- and 64-bit mode following these steps:

The following features are not currently available when using Logic Pro 9.1 in 64-bit mode.

Firewire streaming of video
    Digital Cinema Desktop
    AAF import and export
    EuCon control surface support
    Automap of parameters with control surfaces
    OMF import and export
    Conversion to MP3
    Recycle (REX) file support
    ReWire support
    Vienna Symphonic Library Tool
    Logic Node processing
    AKAI format sample import

edit:

There is a new 32bit instance running when you're using logic in 64bit mode

Attached Files:

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Talk about posting at the right time, lol.

I was so excited to finally upgrade Logic to 64 bit, but seeing those missing features is kind of a let down. Particularly I need EU con support, but I'm pretty sure Euphonix will remedy this with a new update soon.

Regardless, really good news nontheless :)

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yes...as expected, Euphonix has released an update to coincide with Logic 9.1. So we can scratch off EuControl incompatibility with 64 bit Logic now :D