Logic 9 on a 17" 2.5Ghz Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Audiomajik, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Audiomajik macrumors newbie

I'm upgrading from a Powermac G5 Dual desktop and I'm wondering if there is anyone running Logic 9 on a 2.5Ghz Macbook Pro and if so, what are the pros/cons of running it on this model laptop? My budget won't allow for a brand new macbook pro right now but I can swing a 2.5Ghz (MB166LL/A) macbook pro or maybe even a 1st gen unibody (2.66Ghz?). Are there any major issues with this model? Should I try to get a 2.66 unibody instead or is there not that much of a difference? I will be using this laptop primarily for running Logic 9 and plugins, so my only considerations are pertaining to this function.
    I already have an external drive in waiting and I will get a 7200rpm drive as well, so I have that base covered. Anyone having successes/failures with running this system combination?

2. marcnotrust macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've asked a similar question and was told that it runs perfectly on the base model 13". So you should have no probs either.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Go for a unibody - the previous models had some reliability issues (speaking from personal experience here). Logic should run just fine, however.

4. Audiomajik thread starter macrumors newbie

What kind of reliability issues? Are they practically unusable or are we talking small issues?

5. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

I use my 2.8 C2D mbp as my main production system and have no problems, apart from my current internal drive which is too slow (5400) Which is being replaced tomorrow with a Momentus XT 7200 Hybrid drive.

6. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i'm using a c2d 2.4 4gb macbook pro unibody - and no issues here!!!

7. Audiomajik thread starter macrumors newbie

So, theoretically, what's the minimum 17" macbook pro to consider? The 2.5GHz 4.1?

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

For what its' worth, I have a 15" MBP 2.5GHZ 4,1 and it runs everything fine. "everything" is Adobe Master Collection CS4, Aperture 3, 100Gb iTunes library, etc.

If you throw in an SSD drive in there, it will be even better!

9. DaftZombie macrumors member

Man even 2.0 is plenty. Just before I got my mac I was running Reason on a computer with 1gb RAM and a 2.7ghz single core Pentium 4 CPU lol I know they're not the same program, but my point is that I doubt you will have any trouble with a MBP above 2ghz.

10. Audiomajik thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume you don't use Waves plugins. They are very system-intensive. I'd just like to have enough power to be free to use plugins as I need them without having to sweat over it. i don't expect to be able to use 20 instances of Omnisphere but I don't want to worry about having to compromise on a basic mix.