Logic an App suitable for creating audio from scratch?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by doctoree, Jun 4, 2010.

1. doctoree macrumors 6502

HI,
    I'm a very visual guy and I'd like to enter the world of audio finally. I'm looking for an app that allows me without the need for prior knowledge to create audio from scratch. I have played with many apps that were all based on the same workflow: Importing short audio clips in a big quantity, hoping to find something suitable and building "your" song out of them. Essentially like a huge patchwork carpet. But there are two problems. First, the legal aspect of using these audio files. Second, it's never more accurate than 85 percent of what you initially had on your mind.

I don't have any additional hardware to input music into a computer. The keyboard,mouse and graphic pen must be enough.
    Essentially I'm looking for the Photoshop of Audio, an App that allows me to create exactly the song I had in mind.

Doc

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I find that logic is perfectly suitable for creating audio from scratch simply by virtue of all the jampacks that come with it ($99 each if you're getting them for garageband).

We're talking beat and instrumental loops, and tons of software instruments. All you really need is a MIDI keyboard and you're good to go. (I supposed you don't really need a MIDI keyboard either, as a USB one would do just fine)

Its not very hard to learn and its a lot of fun. Not a bad ~$500 investment IMO.

3. doctoree thread starter macrumors 6502

I may misunderstand you but I think these files you are referring to are exactly the workflow I don't want to use. I want to start from scratch using sophisicated software to "enter" or "set up" my sound instead of draging and dropping preexistent files into the timeline. I admit such software may not even exist but at least I can try to find it by asking you pros.

4. newuser2310 macrumors regular

Logic like any other DAW(digital audio workstation) has many software instruments. It is perfect for music creation/production.

There is a drum machine and a plethora of virtual synths to cater for your every need. Along with EQ's, Filters, Compressors etc.

They do come with pre-sets but starting from scratch is very satisfying.

Logic 9 is F***in awesome.

Many professional producers us it and there are a lot of high quality 3rd party audio units/plug-ins available.

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/

Enjoy!

5. doctoree thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, thats what I wanted to hear ;) Thanks!

6. deej999 macrumors regular

You can do both in Logic.

As mentioned, software instruments and effects will blow your mind in terms of what you will be able to create from scratch.

Logic comes with thousands of Apple loops. These can be edited and changed in many ways and are royalty free for any commercial or non commercial musical use.

In Garageband you can also create sounds from scratch. May be an easier place to start in. Don't get me wrong, Logic is wonderful, my go-to Digital Audio workstation, but Garageband is pretty powerful and on your Mac already.

deej

7. doctoree thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. I will invest some time into these apps. I'm happy there are ways to use Apple software for this. They just make very good software :)

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

You've already got Garage Band. It's like a scaled down Logic. Try it. Even with just GB you could make a song. It's best to try something easy first. Try making a version of "Mary had a Little Lamb" in Garage Band. You can enter the notes one at a time assign the track to a grand piano and have a very simple child's song. From that point, hack away on it. Add chords and and drum and bass and make it longer with inprov over the same chords.

Logic works better and is bigger but no reason you can't use GB to get started. Then later buy Logic and it will open GB projects, you don't have to start over.

9. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend trying Logic Express 9. It's essentially a stripped-down version of Logic Pro and you can learn all the basics there and certainly record a song from scratch. After that, if you find you need something more advanced, just purchase the upgrade to Logic Pro and yu're good to go. Definitely worth the ~$170 :)

10. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

All USB keyboards are MIDI; they just use USB to communicate by MIDI instead of a dedicated MIDI port. Same thing different cable.

To the OP; what are you looking for as an end result? Pop music? DJ mashups? Film scores? What genre you're working in can tell us alot more about what could work for you....all depends on what you want the final result to be.

11. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Garageband.

Don't try to drive a spaceship if you don't know the car first mate - logic is good but you'll think it's rubbish if you don't know how to use it! It's an easy transition to logic from GB.

I have no ideas why everybody is telling your to use a pro app like logic if you're saying you want to just dip your toe into the waters of audio...sheer madness. Yes, logic by all means but don't shell out when you probably have GB free and it's much much more accessible and you won't even THINK about the extra features if you are just starting out which won't justify the cost.

Sorry, i think 'logic' is bad advice and a word easily thrown around.