Logic and Controller Woes

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
I bought an Axiom 61 pro controller for doing instrument recording in Logic. I started off testing it in Garage Band recording multiple tracks and instruments and it worked fine. Wanting more instruments, I fired up Logic (which I don't know very well yet) and put down a track using the Steinway Grand. I then started recording a second track using a bass guitar and it was OK for about 3 seconds and then started lagging and then eventually stopped taking input. Why would I be just fine in GB and not Logic? This is a Unibody core i7 MacbookPro with 4GB RAM (max I think). I can't for the life of me understand why I can't record more than 1 track in Logic but I can just keep recording and recording in GB.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Is my MBP with its max 4GB RAM maybe just not enough for Logic? Or is there some other reason why I can't record multiple software instrument tracks?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is my MBP with its max 4GB RAM maybe just not enough for Logic? Or is there some other reason why I can't record multiple software instrument tracks?
No. Logic and GB have the same "engine". They are really the same software with two different user interfaces. What you are doing would not come close to stressing your system. Perhaps you have a problem or a full hard drive. Hard to know without seeing.

Try running Activity Monitor while you record. See what it says.

One thing you can do to improve performance while multi tracking is to "freeze" the tracks you are not recording into. In Logic this causes the MIDI to be pre rendered and frees up the CPU. while you record