Logic and Controller Woes

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by patseguin, May 21, 2012.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I bought an Axiom 61 pro controller for doing instrument recording in Logic. I started off testing it in Garage Band recording multiple tracks and instruments and it worked fine. Wanting more instruments, I fired up Logic (which I don't know very well yet) and put down a track using the Steinway Grand. I then started recording a second track using a bass guitar and it was OK for about 3 seconds and then started lagging and then eventually stopped taking input. Why would I be just fine in GB and not Logic? This is a Unibody core i7 MacbookPro with 4GB RAM (max I think). I can't for the life of me understand why I can't record more than 1 track in Logic but I can just keep recording and recording in GB.

2. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Is my MBP with its max 4GB RAM maybe just not enough for Logic? Or is there some other reason why I can't record multiple software instrument tracks?

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

No. Logic and GB have the same "engine". They are really the same software with two different user interfaces. What you are doing would not come close to stressing your system. Perhaps you have a problem or a full hard drive. Hard to know without seeing.

Try running Activity Monitor while you record. See what it says.

One thing you can do to improve performance while multi tracking is to "freeze" the tracks you are not recording into. In Logic this causes the MIDI to be pre rendered and frees up the CPU. while you record