Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greg624

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
Can anyone tell me if selecting an instrument from the library causes a crash to happen on one of these programs?

greg624

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
how many places are you gonna post the same question? i've already responded to you on TWO other threads...
I see that thank you... :D you could’ve just answered on one, but I’m just hoping the sooner I get an answer the better. I want to make sure my Logic library isn’t corrupt. See the thing is I can load a plug-in, but I can’t load the instrument patch. Only patches that load up are E-Piano patches. EXS24 instrument patches instantly crash the entire app on this beta.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
yeah, sorry. just answered on one thread, then answered on another... and then realized it was the same person. then found this thread. anyway, will post on this one once PB2 is out (my first version of 10.13 on my music mac...)

greg624

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
yeah, sorry. just answered on one thread, then answered on another... and then realized it was the same person. then found this thread. anyway, will post on this one once PB2 is out (my first version of 10.13 on my music mac...)

Okay cool.

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I tried installing the High Sierra PB2 on my late 2012 Mac mini (because Logic works fine on my MacBook Pro with High Sierra on it) and got crashes in Logic X when I tried instantiating a software instrument track or audio track. My advice would be DO NOT UPGRADE TO HIGH SIERRA just yet if you are a Logic user. I have since reverted back to my Time Machine backup and all is well again.

Funnily enough, Logic works fine on my 2011 MacBook Pro... which doesn't matter as much since my work computer is my Mac mini.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
confusing, isn't it? i've cloned my mac (carbon copy cloner), so i can always go back. i may still try high sierra on my logic machine... but after i finish my current project. i'll def report back on this thread at that time.

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
confusing, isn't it? i've cloned my mac (carbon copy cloner), so i can always go back. i may still try high sierra on my logic machine... but after i finish my current project. i'll def report back on this thread at that time.

Yeah.... I was really confident that everything would be ok since Logic didn't have any problems on my MacBook Pro, and I have most of the same plugins installed on both systems... really weird.. maybe it's a machine thing? I have no idea..

UPDATE: Just installed PB2 on my MacBook Pro and now I'm getting the same crashes I had on my Mac mini... Logic completely crashes when I instantiate a software instrument or audio track. Wow. Good thing the laptop isn't my work computer. Again, please DO NOT INSTALL HIGH SIERRA on your machines if you are a Logic user!!! ⚠️⚠️⚠️

Last edited:

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
Why do you people install betas on your primary machines and then complain that something is not working? Of course it's not because it's a BETA! If you want to complain, you better do so to bugreport.apple.com

Reactions: O.N.Y.X

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why do you people install betas on your primary machines and then complain that something is not working? Of course it's not because it's a BETA! If you want to complain, you better do so to bugreport.apple.com

I actually wasn't complaining, I was reporting to other Logic users, actually more like warning them.. And yes of course, I've sent already reported directly to Apple.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

personally, i never complain about beta functionality, but i will report it (in feedback assistant), and on this forum. like any adult, i take responsibility for my actions. i enjoy testing out the betas, and finding fixes (or workarounds) for challenges.

Reactions: hxlover904

khaglund

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
I am running High Sierra PB2. I don't have Logic but am running MainStage 3.3.1 and it will only run with electric piano and maybe 1 or 2 vintage B3 organ sounds. All other instrument patches result in the app crashing. Also, GarageBand will not open unless I open a project that does not use an instrument patch. If you are wanting to run MainStage or GarageBand, do not install High Sierra PB2 as they will not work. Will update on next PB release.

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ok, Logic 10.3.2 is working really well in the latest PB3, really happy about this! My High Sierra machine is not my daily driver, I have 10.12.6 on my work Mac anyway.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Ok, Logic 10.3.2 is working really well in the latest PB3, really happy about this! My High Sierra machine is not my daily driver, I have 10.12.6 on my work Mac anyway.

good to hear that. am gonna put HS on my 'music' mac next weekend, and will (hopefully) have the same news to report...!

fox1401

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2015
you could open new project, but you can't "save" the project as the filename you want. the "filename" field is dimmed, it doesn't allow any input. All you can do is click "save", let the file save in the filename "project", and rename it in finder.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you could open new project, but you can't "save" the project as the filename you want. the "filename" field is dimmed, it doesn't allow any input. All you can do is click "save", let the file save in the filename "project", and rename it in finder.

will check that out, and report back...

EDIT: just upgraded my OS. "save as" is the problem; the text in the 'save as' window does not show, but it does work. still, annoying if you use 'save as', trying to imagine what you're typing (the new file DOES show the 'save as' name in the Finder...).

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
pb4, LX 10.3.2, and... the 'save as' window is... non-existent. nothing to see here folks! so you can only save as or bounce whatever the logic file is named (of course, easy to change the file name in the finder after the fact). some minor graphic glitch in the bounce 'measures' window. so far, functioning really well otherwise...

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
pb4, LX 10.3.2, and... the 'save as' window is... non-existent. nothing to see here folks! so you can only save as or bounce whatever the logic file is named (of course, easy to change the file name in the finder after the fact). some minor graphic glitch in the bounce 'measures' window. so far, functioning really well otherwise...

Oops.. didn't try bouncing on my secondary Mac with High Sierra on it. Hmm. That's a no go for me on my work Mac then. Will continue to wait. Thanks for being brave for the rest of us fisher!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you can bounce, and 'save as'... again, it just uses the logic file name. then i can rename in the Finder. a nuisance, not a deal-breaker. the good news is that, here anyway, the app is performing beautifully...

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
you can bounce, and 'save as'... again, it just uses the logic file name. then i can rename in the Finder.

Sure, I'm in no rush to upgrade though and something like that would probably annoy the heck out of me! Will just wait till more bugs get ironed out. Won't be long now I think...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i imagine this will be sorted in the next beta, it's not a small thing. but outside of that, logic X is running great, is fast, stable. am getting my work done, no intrusive behaviors, weirdness... (until, of course, i go to save as).

EDIT: and with today's beta (14august), the 'save as' window has returned...

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
what do you mean, 'scrolling thru AUs'? do you mean looking thru the lists when planning to insert an AU in a channel strip? no problem here. have you rebooted?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.