Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Well, after finally biting the bullet and getting my dream machine (15" G4 PowerBook), I'm now looking for a good sequencer as I'm mainly into music creation. Reason is multi-platform and my PC version installed just great on my PowerBook, so that's taken care of, but on my PC I used to use Cubase SX 1.0 as my sequencer.

I'm looking at purchasing Logic Audio 6.0 and I'm wondering first of all whether I should buy it, or Cubase SX 2.0? Can anyone tell me which one is better? I think because Apple owns Emagic now Logic Audio might have better integration with Core Audio, but I'm worried about making the plunge to Audio Units or whatever new plugin format they have. I would have to throw out all my VST instruments (I have a bunch). Also, how well does Logic work with Rewire?

My other question is in regards to Logic 6.0 gold vs. platinum version. I don't have Digidesign TDM hardware, so I don't think I need the platinum version. Is there any reason why I should buy the platinum version instead of the gold version, which is $300 cheaper? Also, when will the gold version be released, because I don't think it's out yet.

Thanks again for your help. I know that's a lot of questions, but if I'm going to make a significant investment in the most important piece of software on my system I really need to make an informed decision.

cspace

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
you may not even need Logic Gold actually, Logic Audio (the cheapest version which I have) is pretty good itself.
there's a full comparison of the differences between versions on Logic's site.

Cubase does run on OS X and I have heard varying reports. you might want to research it some more since you have a lot of VST plug-ins. Logic only supports AU under OS X now.

Logic works fine with Rewire.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Re: Logic Audio advice, please help

Originally posted by illumin8
Well, after finally biting the bullet and getting my dream machine (15" G4 PowerBook), I'm now looking for a good sequencer as I'm mainly into music creation. Reason is multi-platform and my PC version installed just great on my PowerBook, so that's taken care of, but on my PC I used to use Cubase SX 1.0 as my sequencer.

Congratulations on the new Mac.

I'm looking at purchasing Logic Audio 6.0 and I'm wondering first of all whether I should buy it, or Cubase SX 2.0? Can anyone tell me which one is better? I think because Apple owns Emagic now Logic Audio might have better integration with Core Audio, but I'm worried about making the plunge to Audio Units or whatever new plugin format they have. I would have to throw out all my VST instruments (I have a bunch). Also, how well does Logic work with Rewire?

I have used both programs extensively on OS X, and I can tell you that both will allow you to get the job done. Cubase SX is not really comparable to Logic Audio, however. It is more in line with Logic Gold. So if you were to buy the Logic Big Box (Audio, EXSP24 Sample Player, EVP73 Rhodes, and ES1 synth), you wouldnt really be getting the same features as you would in SX, but you'd be paying an awful lot less too!

Both programs integrate nicely with CoreAudio. The main difference is that Cubase does not (yet...if ever) support Audiounits, while Logic does. AU's are (IMHO) a far better choice than VSTs and will, over time, become the OS X standard. VST is proprietary, while AU's are now supported by several sequencer makers.

My other question is in regards to Logic 6.0 gold vs. platinum version. I don't have Digidesign TDM hardware, so I don't think I need the platinum version. Is there any reason why I should buy the platinum version instead of the gold version, which is $300 cheaper? Also, when will the gold version be released, because I don't think it's out yet.

Platinum offers a lot of features over Gold, not the least of which is TDM support. BUT, it also offers a better set of plug ins (BTW, even the plugins with Logic Audio are better than those in SX). Platinum is really great if you'll be doing some complex MIDI applications, and require the ultimate in flexibility. It depends on what you need.

Thanks again for your help. I know that's a lot of questions, but if I'm going to make a significant investment in the most important piece of software on my system I really need to make an informed decision.

Thats a good attitude. Get what will suit your needs. One last thing about Logic vs. Cubase:

Logic will take longer to learn (to master, that is), no question. BUT, once you've mastered Logic, your possiblities are almost endless. It is so customizable. Cubase is a good program, no doubt, but it doesnt allow me to work as intuitively as I do in Logic.

My advice, go for Logic Gold and then upgrade to Platinum later if you need to.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Re: Re: Logic Audio advice, please help

Originally posted by Edge100
My advice, go for Logic Gold and then upgrade to Platinum later if you need to.
Thanks for the great advice. Have you used the AU to VST adapter at all? Do you know how well it works or how stable it is?

I heard one of the advantages of using Audio Units is that they are much more stable than VST instruments. I think everyone that has used Cubase has had flaky VST instruments cause Cubase to crash before. Perhaps that's why Apple is switching to the Audio Units plugin architecture so that they can keep tighter control over it and make sure that Logic is stable.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Re: Re: Re: Logic Audio advice, please help

Originally posted by illumin8
Thanks for the great advice. Have you used the AU to VST adapter at all? Do you know how well it works or how stable it is?

I have used it a little, and it has been excellent for me. However, it does NOT work for all VSTs (e.g. Steinberg Groove Agent). I have used it for the TC Native Bundle plugins and it has worked flawlessly.

I heard one of the advantages of using Audio Units is that they are much more stable than VST instruments. I think everyone that has used Cubase has had flaky VST instruments cause Cubase to crash before. Perhaps that's why Apple is switching to the Audio Units plugin architecture so that they can keep tighter control over it and make sure that Logic is stable.

I think everyone who has used Cubase (pre-SX) has realized it has some inherent flakiness! And this from the originators of VST! Cubase pre-SX was a BAD program. VERY buggy. SX is actually ok, but I still prefer the Emagic/Apple direction. I know I'll get the best integration with OS X using Audio Units. There's a bright future there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.