Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Reduces returns. People will be less likely to buy one at a store and then return the one that did not get delivered until 5pm. It also makes more available for others who did not pre-order, since the fans won't be in line at 6am waiting for a 5pm release if they pre-ordered.

drkstar

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
C'mon peeps! This is APPLE. Everything the do is marketing based. Nothing suits a marketer better than FREE advertising. And what better FREE advertising than getting a story on the evening local newscasts?

5 PM. Just in time for a live report of the crazed buyers weighting in line at the local Apple store. Also plenty of time for the morning newspaper.

+1

mlkeller

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Kirkland, WA
My personal theory is that allows for the units to be delivered by 3pm (cutoff for standard overnight) to the stores and still have time for the stores to prep...FWIW

Rm.237

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Somewhere
Just called my Apple Store and they will actually be closing the store down at 4:00 for an hour to "get things set up". Either that or build up the hype. My personal shop request at 5:00 failed btw. Got a call from someone from the store stating that they have blacked out several time periods due to the release. :( Looks like I got some waiting in line to do do tomorrow.

nsorrelle

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
nj-mac-user said:
I think he meant "3G's"

No, he posted it correctly, but it turns out that people suck at grammar. "3Gs" is the plural of "3G". Using an apostrophe to indicate plurality is not correct.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
I think the evening launch ensures that day delivery to stores, otherwise they would have to have it delivered Thursday. So, gives them an extra day. Also they probably can have more staffing in the evening with the part-timers. And like mentioned too, that gives people all day to stand in line for the media. I think though it's mostly logistics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.