Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canosgmk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Hey folks.

I need to see if I can find a list of what logic boards I can install my macbook pro.

The apple site is no help and wants me to go to their store. I know how that will go and not wanting to do that, again.

So, I have an A1286 / W891204XJ6DZA M98A 2.4GSAM256MB.

I bought it new in 2009 and used it a lot. Between learning about photoshop and also doing recordings on logic pro X with also hours and hours of live streaming and some games, the laptop ended up getting so hot the heatsink for the CPU became unattached from the logic board.

I also lost wifi on the laptop a long time ago, but fixed that with a USB adapter.

My goal, is to install something like A1286 (EMC 2556*) from a 2012, 2.7 GHz Core i7 (I7-3820QM).
http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=a1286

If not possible, anything upgrade from the old one is fine.

however, i can't see if it will work in my system.

My goal is to get a new logic board, install my SSD, DVD burner, 8GB ram from OWC, turn it on and be like nothing happened.

My laptop broke over a year ago and had to buy a PC because of the power needs. The new macbook pro couldn't keep up with the PC ones. Seems like they are trying to make everything slim like and forgetting the power requirements.

My reason to fix the mac now:
Use it for my logic Pro X / photoshop and running kodi on it for my main entertainment system. My wife also wants a 4TB redundant HDD for all her photos. That should be the easy part.

thanks for any and all help.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Only the same year logic board will work for sure. Differences in mounting hole/standoff locations, ports and port locations will cause the new board to not fit right. The keyboard, display and battery connectors may also differ.

canosgmk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Only the same year logic board will work for sure. Differences in mounting hole/standoff locations, ports and port locations will cause the new board to not fit right. The keyboard, display and battery connectors may also differ.

Thank you for the reply. Can you please elaborate a bit on "the same year".

I think mine is 'early 2009'. So would a 'late 2009' with a 3.0Gz chip work?

Sorry again. This would be easier if there was a list of compatable logic boards. I'm sure there was such a list 8 years ago. Lol
[doublepost=1500285347][/doublepost]

Sorry again. This would be easier if there was a list of compatable logic boards. I'm sure there was such a list 8 years ago. Lol

Crap. Mine is "late 2008". And is has early 2009 with a (*) showing some parts are compatible with late 2008.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Sorry, I forgot some years had multiple versions of the same model. I would say your BEST bet for compatibility will be the same exact model, though it is possible the case design carried over exactly from one to the next, that's a risk...

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

[doublepost=1500285347][/doublepost]

Crap. Mine is "late 2008". And is has early 2009 with a (*) showing some parts are compatible with late 2008.
I have a late 2008 MBP if you’re interested. It has a cracked LCD and the “service battery” warning just started (day after I bought its replacement LOL), but if you’re interested, let me know. It still runs. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.