logic board died

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by efp722, Mar 9, 2009.

1. efp722 macrumors regular

The logic board on my three year old MacBook went last week. I never purchased the AppleCare and instead of dropping $500 on a new board, I'm just gonna get one of the new MacBook pros, with the AppleCare ha.

My question is: is it possible to plug my MacBook up to another mac and access my drive? I usually back up my data every few weeks (I'm a student and I don't have to much personal and or important data). There are a few documents on it that I'd rather take off then rewrite. Heck I'd even do a time machine update if possible.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

2. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

I'm curious about this too. Shouldn't firewire work? I've never used FW, so so don't know the stipulations, but supposedly you don't have to have a router or anything, just plug 'er in.
    Does the dead MBP have a FW 800 port?

How do you know it's the logic board that went out? Did you take it to the shop?

3. efp722 thread starter macrumors regular

It's actually a white MacBook that died. I thought I was in the MacBook forum.

I took it the apple store and the genius said it was my logic board.

4. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

OOOOHhhh I see. Yeah, I think this is the MBP/ Powerbook forum...
    jeez, I don't know about that...What about swapping drives?
    There should also be wireless data migration available, if you can see the screen at all.

My first MBP that I had last month, had the logic board die on it. The LCD went black, but if I shined a light on it, I could see stuff. Maybe you could work it out like that if you can still see graphics on it, then do a wireless data migration, or even over a cat-5 network if it's hooked into a router.
    But again, that is if you can see anything on the screen.

5. efp722 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I'll just do a swap haha. That way I have all my prefernces and stuff. Sorry for posting here but tanks for the help