Logic Board failed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 7031, Sep 25, 2009.

1. 7031 macrumors 6502

Hey guys. Basically, my mid 2007 Macbook Pro's logic board failed, and it's 718 pounds for a repair. What I'm wondering is, should I pay that and get it fixed or should I just get a new Macbook, and if so, would it be worth selling my old Macbook for parts?

Thanks,
    Joel N.

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I'd be tempted to do what you sugges yes. Get a new one, selling the old one in the process to help finance your new purchase. Keep the hdd though n get an enclosure for it:)

ptp

3. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'll most likely keep the harddrive if I do decide to replace, since it would mean I could use that for Final Cut. I actually don't have an enclosure, but instead I just use a USB to SATA adapter, though to be honest an enclosure is probably better, but it's not a top priority right now.

The only problem here is of course, a replacement is expensive, and I would want to aim for the mid range 15" one, because I fear that the 9400 won't be too great for gaming, being an integrated card (still better than the Intel GMA). Of course, the mid range one is about twice as much as the repair so I'm still not completely sure as to what I will do.

Also, how much would a Macbook Pro with a fried logic board and with the harddrive removed get on eBay? I'm thinking not much... (unless maybe the screen gets something?)

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

What exactly have failed?
    If it's the gfx on the logicboard you should get a free replacement

5. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

I honestly have no idea, but 718 pounds was the price quoted.

For the curious, here's what happened:
    One night, using my Macbook, put it to sleep, went to bed.
    Next day, I open up my Macbook, and while the superdrive made that noise, it didn't come out of sleep. I just assumed maybe something was bugging, and turned it off, and turned it back on again.

Nothing happened. Blank screen, no chime, but the superdrive made a sound and the sleep LED remained on. Simply put, nothing seemed obviously wrong with it, so I took it to the IT shop near me (which is Apple Certified) and they basically told me that the logic board had failed, and their advice was basically just to buy a new Macbook. Of course that would be expensive, but then again, so is the repair.

I did try calling up my insurance, but since it wasn't actual damage, but a hardware failure or whatever, they won't cover it.

Anyone got advice on what to do?

6. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Here's my suggestion. Take the MBP to another Apple authorized repair centre or an Apple Store and tell them you think you've been bitten by the NVIDIA 8600M GT issue and may be eligible for a repair under the service advisory on this issue.

We don't know if that's actually the case where you have this issue, but they're more likely to diagnose with that in mind as a possibility rather than summarily dismissing it as being an at-your-expense repair. Perhaps it won't turn out to be the GPU issue, but at least if you get a second opinion that concurs it's a logic board issue AND unrelated to the GPU issue... then you have greater confidence that it's not something Apple would repair on their own dime.

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If I remember correctly there is a test to determine if it is indeed a GPU failure that the geniuses do. I have seen the fried ones going in the US for $600, not sure if the market is the same in the UK.

8. prodigee macrumors 6502a

If you can take it to an Apple store do that the Geniuses, will tell you what the problem is and if it is indeed the graphics then you should get it replaced for free, but from it sounds like from your post, you will need to pay for this new logic board because it has just plain and simply died. I would say get a new MacBook Pro, and sell your current for parts, ( you could probably get close to 500-600 USD for it, I don't know the exchange rate and I am too lazy to find it sorry ). But if I were you I would just get a new MBP.

9. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm I'm now thinking I'll just not bother. I'm just thinking that well, for now this is really an expense I could do without. Really annoying for me, but to be honest, had it not been for Final Cut and Logic, Apple would have lost me as a customer a long time ago.

Maybe I'll sort something out later on, but this is just ridiculous. Yes, electrical equipment fails, but this is a failure that simply should not have happened, and since it won't come under warranty I think I just won't bother.

So yeah, I'll look into a new Mac later on, but at this point I just cannot afford to pay for a repair or a new computer, considering how little I will get from selling it.

10. lannyjack macrumors newbie

I have the same problem right now.

I look at it this way, I can drop around 1,000 dollars to fix it, or put that towards a new mac book pro.

If I repair it though, who's to say something else won't go wrong on it?

If I put that towards a new one, I would correct my mistake and get Apple Care this time.

I have honestly thought about writing a letter to someone in customer service. Is it a common occurrence for logic boards to go bad? Yeah, I was dumb to not get apple care, but I have taken immaculate care of this laptop and then it just fails. I don't know if they would give me a break on a new one or maybe help out on getting this fixed.

11. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

This whole saga sux!!!! IMO, Apple should recall all the affected machines...admitting that they have delivered a faulty product should be a simple enough reason to do so.....instead...here we are...just waiting for our product to fail....an expensive, good looking, productive TIME BOMB!

12. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

As much as I would like to agree with you, I talked to the shop and they said it's not the graphics card, so I don't think this is related to that issue. And of course, if your GPU is at fault, then it's covered for 3 years.

13. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

hmm...yeah...but then there have been cases where the apple guys tell u that it is a logic board failure..whereas in reality it is a GPU failure...get it double checked....u know..just to be sure...

the thing here is..solution to both the problems is the same : replace the logic board...so from the perspective of the company...they did rather tell u that it is a logic board failure rather than a GPU failure...just my 2 cents here...

14. 7031 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can understand why you may think that, but I want to make it clear that the place I went to was not an Apple Store, but an Apple Authorized Repair Center.

Their website is http://www.backstageservices.co.uk if you want to check it out.