logic board failure in iPad2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ohioag, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ohioag macrumors newbie

I have a 13-month old iPad2 3G. About 2 weeks ago (10 days after the 1-year warranty expired), I suddenly got an error message saying "SIM card not found." After taking it to my AT&T store, and my local Apple distributor, I found out today that my logic board has failed. I called Apple support and was basically told, "tough luck, you should've bought the AppleCare extended warranty." They said if it had failed 2-3 days post warranty, they might be able to do something about it, but not 10 days past warranty. My local Apple repair shop quoted me $750 to replace the board. I can't find anyone who's had the same problem. Am I really completely out almost $1000?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Did you buy it with a card that extends the manufacturer's warranty?

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

To answer your question, Yes, you are out almost $1000. There's a reason their warranty is only for a year, just as there's also a reason as to why they offer AppleCare for it.

Also, it wouldn't really be worth it to just replace the Logic board. You'd be better off just replacing the entire unit.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Replace the logic board? I don't think that's possible. All they do with failed iOS devices is to swap them out with replacement units. So basically, if your unit is out of warranty, you just have to buy a new one.

5. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Ouch, sorry to hear. It's stories like this that make me weary of buying used on Kijiji or Craigslist, I'd rather buy used from Apple store direct with warranty.

But then again iPads with failed logic boards are a bit of a rarity, as we don't really hear much about it on the forums.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Apple doesn't sell used, they sell refurbished. Their refurbished products are in like new or better condition. A used product, not so much.