Logic Board failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TjeuV, Jan 5, 2012.

1. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Hi,

It's more a general question, nothing specific.
    I'm not the biggest electrician or technical genius but what causes a logic board to get worn out, what makes it fail?

I've heard of someone's macbook pro where there was no solution for his problem because his logic board was a total loss. No spilled drinks or whatever, just time doing it's job.

So my question: what are the common causes for that to happen?

2. satchow macrumors 6502

Could be anything. Water damage, overheating, chip burning out, solder melting, short circuit, act of God.. etc

3. TjeuV thread starter macrumors 6502

So you would say heat is the most common cause? I was hoping the fans took care of that. Maybe after time they're less effective but still ...

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Like anything electronic, sometimes things just fail. There's not necessarily any specific reason, it just happens from time to time.

5. rufftackle macrumors newbie

My logic board failed last year. Genuis at the Apple Store couldn't give the exact reason why. Luckily, this happened a week before my AppleCare was going to expire.

I asked the Genuis how much parts and labor would have costed had it not been for AppleCare, and if I remember correctly, the price was around $700.

6. TjeuV thread starter macrumors 6502

yea, those prices are insane !

7. skier777 macrumors 6502

There is always a specific reason. It might come without warning and may not be linked to how the used used the machine, and may not be able to be understood or resolved, but there is a reason it doesn't work anymore. ;)

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Well, eventually over time, capacitors stop being able to hold and regulate power, chips can become de-sodered from heat, and circuits can wear and "brown out" due to dirty power. This is about all I can think of off the top of my head.