Logic board failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cardsdoc, Mar 6, 2009.

1. cardsdoc macrumors regular

I have a 2.4 GHz SR MBP. Purchased when the SR first came out - June 2007. Was working fine last night. This evening I opened the lid and it didn't wake up. I forced a shutdown holding power button. Now, whenever I turn it on the power light come on, the fans whir, the superdrive powers up, and that's it. Screen stays black, no hard drive activity. Tried resetting SMC. Tried starting from OSX disc. Tried safe boot. Reseated memory and tried the original Apple memory that I upgraded from. Nothing. I can't get my disc out either now. I have an appointment at Apple tomorrow. Is this all typical for a logic board failure?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you, by chance, hear any variation of the POST startup chime?

3. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors regular

There is no startup chime.

4. dcubed20 macrumors member

This just happened to me Monday — same symptoms and everything.

I took it in, they ran the nVidia diagnostic to see if it was a graphics issue, but it wasn't. They diagnosed a logic board failure, and I sent it in to get replaced.

5. meringues macrumors member

6. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors regular

I had upgraded to 4gb of RAM and still have the original 2gb of Apple memory which I tried already. Still nothing. I have an appointment at Apple at 1pm today.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's possible it's the DC board, but I wouldn't know—I also think they are now one piece. Hope they fix it.

8. Thylacine macrumors newbie

Yes, sounds like what happened to me

Exact same symptoms happened to me after installing the Airport 7.4.1 update yesterday on my 2007 model 17" MBP. I took it in to the Genius Bar today and they said it was a logic board failure...and that it was just coincidence that it happened during my update. Being that it was out of warranty and I had no AppleCare, I was fearing the worst in terms of $$ for repair, but it turned out to be a flat $310 to have it replaced, which seemed reasonable to me.

9. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors regular

Apple thought it was the logic board. I'm going through computer withdrawl. Thank god for my iPhone.

10. wesrk macrumors 6502a

same problem just today, it was working fine yesterday and today it wouldn't boot.
    Took it to the apple store and a new logic board is in order. So I'm without it for a week or more.