Logic Board Failures...Are they really that common?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarakn, Oct 10, 2013.

1. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

I'm impatiently awaiting the purchase of my first mac, but can't help by wonder at the number of posts on this site where a failed logic board has been the problem.

Granted I'm on a mac forum site where you'll see more complaints than compliments, but I wanted to get an idea from you longtime mac users how often this happens.

In the past 15 years, I've never had a laptop or desktop fail due to processor or anything like that. Well, actually I had a processor fail when I touched a screwdriver to it without first grounding myself. The other issues I've had were 2 hard drive failures - that's it.

So how often do these logic boards fail on macs anyway?

Thanks.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd say fairly rare. Many failures are due to accidental damage.

However, since the replacement of a logic board seems to be a fairly pricey item at Apple, I usually buy Apple Care and extend my warranty from 1 to 3 years. If you're in the UK there are different laws on the warranty, but that's another story.

Were you asking for warranty purchasing purposes or just curious?

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

It sounds like he's noticed reports here and is starting to worry if it means it's common enough to worry about.

I've had responsibility for hundreds of macs and have only seen a single motherboard fail spontaneously, in the 80s. Saw a daughter card fail in the 90s. Both were heavily run but even so, indicate rates on the order of under 1%. Pretty good odds.

5. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Thanks all. I was just wondering about the reliability of these based on the posts I'd seen regarding logic board failures.
    I already plan on purchasing Apple Care to protect my purchase.

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

no need to be worried of it just get the protection plan and you are covered for 3 years just keep liquids away and take care and you will be good to go for years.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yeah. People drop their laptops, and spill things on them - many of which they're not going to openly admit online if they want to get it fixed. The boards themselves are solid.