Logic board failures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimbo1mcm, Aug 9, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I want to be a little careful here, but it seems like Apple has a lot of logic board failures. Do I have hard evidence? Absolutely not because I don't have access to repair/failure figures. If I paid a LOT of money for a laptop and it fails then I would be very upset. I purchased Applecare for my 2011 MBP 13 just because of the anecdotal and actual incidences of logic board failures. If my logic board fails just after my Applecare expires, then there is really something wrong with the manufacturing/design process. I expect a laptop to last more than 3 years.

2. wpotere Guest

Then you are making an assumption but what are you basing it on? I'm sure they do have failures and if you have a warranty it is covered so why stress it. I have had my Macbook for 4 years now....

3. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

My MBP turns 5 in October, never purchased the extended Applecare, never had an issue with it. I wouldn't worry much-- for every horror story you hear, you hear 100 stories from people who have never had issues with their Macs.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have a 6 year old iBook G4 that my wife uses daily for casual surfing and e-mail in the living room and it runs fine on Leopard. We have a total of 6 Macs in the house, and none have ever had ANY hardware problems. Only one is not in use - it is a PPC mini that I retired when I bought a 24" iMac. I boot the old ppc mini up now and then just to make sure it works.

That being said, if you sell 1 million computers and only one percent have logic board failures that is still 10,000 logic board failures.

And if you are only looking here on MacRumors, remember that more people post when they have a problem than when everything is running fine. There are quite a few threads about Lion crashing or not installing or losing wi-fi or whatever, but I have Lion on a 13" MBP from 2009 and it runs fine, no issues.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You see high failure rates on the internet because people that have problems are a vocal minority. Nobody goes on forums to say how trouble free their machine is, because frankly, that isn't anything interesting to write about.

For every failure you read about, there are hundred or thousands of machines that are trouble free. All electronics die eventually, some just do it sooner than others.