Logic Board Fault

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by countblake, Aug 30, 2014.

1. countblake macrumors newbie

My17" Macbook Pro is about 3 years old. The machine is exclusively used for sequencing in Logic where I also use the Kontakt instrument.
    About nine months ago the hard drive required replacement as it had become defective. Then about two weeks ago following return from a holiday where I had used the Mac Pro on a cruise ship, I suffered the black screen. The repairer confirmed the logic board to be defective and required replacement with either a new one or one that had been repaired. I have always treated the machine very carefully ensuring it to be turned off before moving it.

I understand that there was a recall on the smaller screen varieties a year back by Mac following a loci board fault. I would appreciate any suggestions of how best to proceed.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have two options in front of you. Repair the MBP or replace it. 3 years isn't a long time for a computer, but the cost associated with the repair may not make it feasible.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The problem was to do with the 8600 graphics card. However, the repair program (available here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377) expired a couple of years ago now.

If you can find a third party repair shop (apple won't touch it - it's now a "vintage" machine - afaik all the 17" MBPs, both old and unibody are now vintage) who can source a logic board, that's probably your cheapest bet, but I'd be prepared for a cost on the wrong side of $700/800.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If it's the 2011 model, Radeongate hit your MBP.

Replacement logic boards won't work, because it will still contain the same manufacturing flaw with the Radeon GPU that causes it to fail again.

Your only option is to throw it into the scrap heap, or send it to a third party to reball a new GPU in, preferably with leaded solder.

Also reapply the thermal paste on the GPU and CPU.

5. countblake thread starter macrumors newbie

Repair the Macbook Pro

Thank you for the response. I need to go away and learn about the GPU and MBP and not adversed to doing a bit of soldering if the end result works!

6. eezacque Guest

3 years, covered by Applecare, is about what you can get out of an MBP.
    After 3 years, it is economically dead.

7. JohannesLaSerda macrumors newbie

JohannesLaSerda

Same happened to me . Johannes from NZ

----------

The net isfull with forums and complaints of people with the same issue . Logic board, graphic card . Sign the petition and seek people with the same problem... I'm so pissed off gosh... Not cool. Hope for the best. Good luck to everyone