Logic Board Fix

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacTooln, Nov 7, 2017.

1. MacTooln macrumors newbie

i have an old MacBook Pro "15 2010 laptop that I use mostly just for work but it's been giving me issues when I use or watch any types of video in that it shuts down and restarts every time. I've researched as much as could and it seems it was a common fault that was once repaired free of charge. Obviously it's well past that now so what options do I have can I simply have the chip replaced and reapplied or is my my only option a full replacement logic board. If the later could I use a 2011 one as I slight upgrade replacement?

Appreciate all advice as I'm more used to dealing with non Mac machines when it comes to fixing. So just trying to find the best and cheapest way to hopefully fix it. Thanks

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well any board you find will be old and the same issue is likely to happen again the same with any dGPU you replace it with. The boards and Radeon dGPU in the 2011 are a lot worse than the Nvidia dGPU 2010 so replacing it with that is an even worse option.

There are ways of disabling dGPU and just using the intel integrated graphics see the long thread for multiple fixes.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gpu-kernel-panic-in-mid-2010-whats-the-best-fix.1890097/

3. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I suggest finding a local repair shop that can replace the faulty capacitor. The cost should not be very much as it would be a simple repair for a competent tech.

4. MacTooln thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I'll have a good read through it!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    Thanks! Yeah I was going to try that but I live in Scotland and I've yet to find any skilled enough to do that. One actually said it sounds like a hard drive fault ‍♂️

It would be ideal tho as I'd rather not have to buy other one. Next time the fault happens tho I will post the log of what it says, maybe someone here would understand it better than myself.