Logic Board for late 2008 Alum MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RHELF, Jul 3, 2010.

1. RHELF macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I have a late 2008 MBP and it turns out my logic board is shot and needs to be replaced. Anyone know the best place(and cheapest) way to go about getting a new one? I know they are expensive, but this is just for my backup as I will be ordering a new I7 MBP in the next week or two. I Was just looking for a way to get a new board cheap. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

eBay or another mac part seller. What kind of MBP do you have? The 15" MBP? the 13", or the 17"? What CPU do you have? 2.4 GHz, 2.53, or 2.6 or 2.8? We need to know that to help.

3. RHELF thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about that.

It's the 15" 2.4 GHz. I checked out ebay and found a few for around $1000. I just can't see myself putting that much money into it. I was hoping to spend a few hundred even on a used or refurbished one just to get it up and running. Like I said, it's just going to be a backup. Thanks so much for the reply!

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts...2008-Early-2009-2-4-GHz-Logic-Board/IF161-005

$799 is the cheapest I found. You may just have to go w/o a Mac until you get your new one.

5. RHELF thread starter macrumors member

ouimetnick,

I think you are right. I have seen them in that price range. I think I might just let it go since I'm getting a new one anyway. Maybe I'll come across someone getting rid of one cheap in the future sometime. Thanks for searching!

6. Andoks macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro late 2008 & early 2009 GPU overheating issue.

I also have an issue with my Macbook Pro 15" late 2008 model - bright screen / distorted video. I went to the local Apple Authorized Service Provider and they told me the same, that I need replacement of logic board. They explained that the GPU overheats and results to the problem. I showed them an article I found from Apple support website, (http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377) regarding a recall for MBP GPU issues. Local service center is ready to help but they explained that the article only refers to MBP early 2008 models hence they ask me to pay $824 if I agree to replace my logic board. Well maybe if more and more people who own the same model (late 2008 & early 2009) are having the same issue, we may have a recall, too, and save roughly 2 year old MBP. I purchased my MBP for more than $2,100 and can't believe I have to pay more than $824 to continue using it (otherwise just give it away)?

7. Dyango macrumors member

I feel your pain, but I think you should have paid a bit more than 2100 and added Applecare, which is just what I did, to be absolutely sure any failure from now on is covered until march 2012 more or less. I don't know if I would pay that amount in your situation or just save it for a new one.

Mac repairs are just so expensive that in some cases it's better to go for a new computer, as Apple itself does when you bring them a troublesome machine under warranty and they don't see the point on re fixing it: "We can exchange you your laptop for this brand new blabla".