Logic Board for Mac Pro Early 2008 2x2.8 GHz needed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Spacedust, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

2. ZennZero macrumors member

eBay is your best bet if you are patient. Plus you can use Bing cashback to save a bit more. Note that even "cheap" won't be too cheap in this case. You are looking at several hundred dollars.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Do you need it WITH the CPUs? If you do, you are probably looking at as much $$ as a new 2009.

4. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

There are boards for Mac Pro 2006 and Mac Pro 2007, but there is not board for Mac Pro 2008 :/

My Mac Pro 2008 is in service since a month and they won't probably fix it at all :(

5. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I don't need CPU's, riser cards, CPU and chipset heatsinks etc., because I already got them.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

You should take a look at Macpalace.com. They're not cheap though (~$720USD?, used to be ~$800USD).

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

How do yo know it's the motherboard and not a different component that is faulty?

8. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I've tested all other components in my Mac Pro 2006:

- case and all wires inside are brand new,
    - PSU is brand new
    - processors are new and working on PC server board
    - CPU and chipset heatsink are working
    - graphics works, both HD2600XT and HD4870
    - RAM inside is working, some of it is also brand new
    - I got new riser modules with case (also having these old in case of failure, so 4 total)
    - 3x HDD's are working
    - Superdrive's are working

9. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

It should, and IIRC, there's at least one user that discovered that their system in fact had 2.8GHz processors in a 3.2GHz board. Now whether or not that was done at the factory was unknown, as it was purchased as a used system.

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

you've got me confused now. Do you want a logic board for a 1,1 & 2,1 mac pro (1006 and 2007) or 3,1 (2008)? Or are you planning on replacing the logic board in a 2006/2007 machine with the logic board from a 2008 machine?

12. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got a working Mac Pro 2006 and dead Mac Pro 2008.

If Mac Pro 2008 will be repaired I will sell Mac Pro 2006.

I've bought a new case for Mac Pro 2008, because it was heavily scratched and at first I thought PSU is dead, but then I found it's not :/ It's dead logic board 100%.

I only got yellow STBY LED when pressing DIAG button. No fans, no chime, nothing. All cables are connected properly.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Just plug in the P/N on the 2008 logic board into a parts location, and see what they cost. As I mentioned previously, those used in the '08's were expensive (~$800USD for the unit used in the 2.8 & 3.0Ghz models last I knew).

It may have come down some now, but they're not cheap. If you're unsure of what the P/N is, give some of them a call. I'd go with Macpalace, as members haven't listed problems with them, unlike some others (i.e. welovemacs.com). There are others (as I don't know if macpalace will ship to Poland), and given the cost, I'd do some research on any sources before buying to avoid getting scammed. Again. ;)

eBay/Craig's list is also an option, but IIRC, eBay is how you ended up in this mess to begin with. :(

14. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't worry I will make this Mac up and running ;)

15. hyram macrumors regular

16. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

17. hyram macrumors regular

"Fraud" ??? Well, I'm always interested in these sort of things. So please keep us updated on how this gets resolved. Thanks!

18. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've called service today. They are checking the board and most of it's parts are working. They've told me it will take about 1,5 week more. There is still big change to make it work.

19. phaedarus macrumors regular

Spacedust, is this the same Mac Pro 2008 you bought on ebay from someone with full knowledge that it had a non-operational logic board a month ago?

If so, you really should chalk this one up as a hard lesson on dealing with sellers online who are outside your geographic region. The logic board will cost you as much as the machine itself.

The only thing you can really do at this point is put your 2008 mac pro up on auction using an alternate account and hope there's another sucker who will help you make back what you lost in the initial deal.

20. hyram macrumors regular

Space... I saw in another thread that you've got a replacement logic board on the way. What was the final diganosis of what was wrong with your current board?

21. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro 2008 is still in service. The've checked so many different chips on the board and all of them were OK. I will let them work for few days. I got time. Maybe they will fix it. Who knows ;)

I've got cheap logic board from Australia. It's a new board. Seller bought one from ApplePalace.com, because he thought his is failing, but it only needed reset.

Cost is about 1400 PLN, not bad ;) It arrived in Poland today. I will get in on monday.

In about 2-3 weeks I have to rebuild this Mac Pro 2008 and transfer HDD's, SD's, RAM and HD4870 to it :)

I'll be selling my current Mac Pro 2006 without HDD's and Superdrives, with 2600XT and 8 GB RAM 667 MHz (2x2 GB Samsung and 2xMicron sticks).

22. hyram macrumors regular

The board is being replaced "because it's dead" but it's still in service....Ok, I'm confussed.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

If I understand correctly:
    Original board in the system = in a repair shop being looked over
    New board purchased in the mean time and installed in the system.

The confusion is understandable though. ;) It took me a couple of reads and thought about other posts to determine it myself. :rolleyes: :p

24. Spacedust thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. So maybe I will have two working logic boards :)

25. nanofrog macrumors G4

Given the cost of the boards when they do go, having a working spare on hand might not be a bad idea. Especially as it seems tougher for you to be able to locate such items without nose-bleeds over the prices. ;) :p