Logic board fried. Had SSD/HHD combo. Worried both drives may be corupt. Any tools-

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EasyB, Apr 24, 2012.

1. EasyB macrumors member

EasyB

Having a bad Mac day, hopefully not a bad drive day too.

My Logic board died while my Mac was in sleep mode. I have a 15" MBP a few years old, the one with a removable battery and express card port if that helps identify the year. I think 09 or 2010. I think it's a 2.4Ghz. I have a 240GB OWC SSD in the optical bay and a 1T HHD in the other.

What's the chance of the drives being corrupt? I'm out of the country with my drives and my old Black MacBook. Just learned that Lion will not boot with the first Black MacBook. But it looks like all the data is there, at least using the finder it is.

So I cloned the SSD to a 1.5T external that includes my OSX, and my user library. Then I added my user files from the 1T drive. My thoughts were to merge the two into one.

I borrowed a friends newer MBP and the SSD drive would not boot, just got the restricted sign (circle with slash), maybe because the only user files are my library??? Or it's corrupt. But the merged drive booted, but it did seem like it took a long time.

Now my last backup was longer than I would have liked it to be, maybe three months or so. So I would rather use the drives out of my old MBP and get a new one and slap those drives in and be off and running. But my concern is there is either something small that is missing or corrupt that will give me problems down the road, or something that will cost performance to suffer.

What I would like to do is to reinstall the OS, I don't even have any idea how to do that now that we don't have install disk anymore. Copy my library file off of the SSD to a backup drive then copy back to the fresh install. But I am worried that library is corrupt in ways that I can't tell.

QUESTION- Is there any tools that could help to check the files? Maybe compare what the finder reports to the actual file. I did all the obvious tools. Disk utility, apple Jacks.

I don't have any backups with me, but I do have the original OS with my user library and everything on the 1T drive from maybe a year ago. And it's 10.6.? and it won't boot from my blackmac either. Not sure if it's 64bits as well, which is why the merged drive was able to boot on my buddy's MBP. I can't remember if the 1T drive would boot with his machine or not.

I don't have enough knowledge for this problem and it is making my frontal lobes hurt :(
    HELP!!!
    Thanks
    :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Virtually no chance. Since your Mac was in sleep mode, your drives were not being accessed, so nothing could have corrupted them.

3. EasyB thread starter macrumors member

EasyB

Well, I guess there is a chance it wasn't in sleep mode. My lid was open for a few days unattended and I tried to use it and it wouldn't start up one day. I took out the battery and did everything I could. I took it to the apple store and they thought it was the MagSafe board and they called the next day and said come get it, it works. When I picked it up at the store it would not turn on. The tech came out and said that he replaced the MagSafe board and it didn't work, so he installed my old one and the computer booted up. So they put no charge on the ticket and called me. I did return the computer to a stock setup with a blank HD in it. They said they could send it to the depot and should be able to fix it for $700, but im not sure if the cost is capped at that or if it could be more.