Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Braunwen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Pittsburgh
Four months after I bought a new MacBook, it started having battery issues. Apple replaced my battery but I was still only able to use my machine while it was connected to the power cord. Apple had me send it in and a few days later I got a phone call stating that it would cost $800 to replace the logic board because there was liquid inside and they deemed it "abuse". Unbeknownst to me, one of my kids had an accident with a glass of iced tea. Apple said it would continue to work as long as it was connected to power.

For the last 14 months that held true. Within the last two weeks it started shutting off with no warning. It only stays on for 5 to 10 minutes at a clip. Since I don't have any use of the battery, I know that's not the issue. I was told that the logic board is fried, so I assume that is the issue. However I did call Apple and they send me a new power adapter. That didn't fix the problem. I did purchase the extended Applecare so I did a little begging that they'd replace my MacBook (never hurts to ask) and of course they didn't go for it.

In the meantime I met an "off the clock" Apple tech who told me that based on my complaints he didn't think my logic board is fried and offered to see if he can fix it for me for free but he needed to keep it for a few days. Sounds great, but I don't trust anyone I don't know unless I take it to a legitimate store...and I really can't be without for a few days. Not to mention the risk of having someone else damage my machine. Having to keep restarting every 5 or 10 minutes is a pain in the butt, but it is better than being without for a few days or losing it to someone's mistake.

Addition to my machine just shutting off, I lost my entire address book from Mail, all of my bookmarks in both Safari and Firefox. The toolbar buttons on firefox don't show up at all (back, forward, refresh, etc). It will not allow me to add bookmarks or contact info. I can try but they don't save. When I restart it does not let me connect to the internet, I have to keep trying to get on my own network, which I know is fine since my husband is also on with no problems and I do eventually get on.

I thought this was a memory issue, so I moved all of my photos and documents to an external hard drive and have deleted about 9,000 photos (still have about 6,000 to go, but I'm working on it now). I freed up a lot of space but it doesn't seem like that was part of the issue because I am still experiencing shut off every 5 to 10 minutes.

I've run every update and diagnostic test I could find both on here and on the Apple support site. Nothing has worked. I've done everything except take my computer apart - which quite frankly I don't want to do because I don't know what to look for - and take it to a shop to see if someone who knows more than I do can figure it out.

My question is, should I just accept the loss and buy a new MacBook? Is it worth it to see if I can replace or repair the logic board, if that is indeed the problem? Or is there anything I can do to buy more time until I can afford a new one (I have to wait until I get my tax refund to replace it).

Thanks!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I think it's worth paying to get it assessed. At the local Mac repair place here, they charge a $100 flat fee to assess a laptop that has sustained liquid damage. Then they come back to you and tell you what needs doing, and you pay for that on top of everything else. I don't think you should write the computer off just yet, though.

FatSteve

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
Dude, I have exactly the same issue (and the same cause). However what I have found is that the Mcabook works fine connected to power but the battery has to be physically taxen out, if it is in the mcabook it keeps going into sleep mode straight after startup.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.