Logic board identity theft help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kelsies567, Nov 27, 2015.

1. kelsies567 macrumors newbie

Please, please help this damsel in distress.

I have been a victim of identity theft before so am extremely paranoid (rightly or wrongly) about it happening again. I have a question which I would love an answer to.

I've recently sold my Macbook Pro 2009. Before I did this I removed my hard drive and installed a brand new one. My question is this...

Could any of my data from my old hard drive (photos, web history, documents) have passed into the logic board and stayed there?

In particular I'm thinking about the Nvram or SMC. I know these things control backlight/fan etc, but is there ANY conceivable way this could have happened?

My paranoia is that the info that made its way across to the logic board (if indeed it did) would have then 'remigrated' to the new hard drive.

Thanks in advance,

Kelsie

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

100% absolutely no need to worry and no chance that could've happened whatsoever, as long as you took out the hard-drive you're absolutely fine. :)

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nope. The data on your HDD stays on your HDD. It isn't saved any were else on the computer.

4. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

There is no logic in this. I think you are overboard.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, the data existed only on your hard drive. Any possible transitory data existing in the ram, was of course eliminated once you turned off the computer. Nothing to worry about, your information is safe.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is not really an unreasonable question IMO.

OP's Mac is too old and does not support Internet recovery, but on newer models that do if you have ever used Internet recovery over wifi, your wifi password is saved in NVRAM. So even if you installed a new hard drive, that saved wifi password would still be in NVRAM unless you reset NVRAM. So it is not really illogical to wonder what else might be saved in NVRAM if one is uniformed about such things.

7. kelsies567 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I appreciate that - and thanks for all the responses so far. I had heard about the NVRAM storing the wifi password, so hence my paranoia about anything else which would have been saved to the logic board.

Is there anything else that anyone is aware of?

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I was going to bring things like that up and the fact that just because you turn your computer off stuff can still reside in RAM. The OP selling her computer was most likely not the cause.