Logic board intermittent problems a mystery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Johncollinsmac, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Johncollinsmac macrumors newbie

I had a friend find a macbook pro 13inch early 2011 in the trash. It starts up sometimes.

Here are the clues:

• When I connect the hdd and turn it on, the screen is black but the apple chime sounds, slowly, eventually the screen turns to blank white, then boot screen appears after 1 minute
    • It has frozen at the point of the loading wheel, but more often loads all the way.
    • A full startup takes about 4 minutes.
    • After loading all the way it works fine but freezes occasionally requiring a restart.
    • The keyboard backlight doesn't turn on until the OS has loaded
    • When I disconnected the hard drive and turn the computer on, the fan runs really high, full blast until it is unplugged or turned off

I have a bad feeling that this is a logic board problem. If someone has a feeling as to what part of the logic board these problems might be caused by, that would be helpful.

Best case scenario, I hope this to be a problem with one part of the logic board so that I could replace that part.

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Sell it on eBay or Craigslist, make sure to describe it properly as defective, walk into the next Apple Store and buy a 2013 one or order a refurb online.

3. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Problem is: these laptops don't have any replaceable parts on the logic board itself. No daughter cards or the like (other than the RAM). And unless you are very familiar with surface mount soldering, you won't be replacing "part" of the logic board, you'll have to replace the whole thing.

I agree that the best option is to sell it to someone looking to part it out.

4. Johncollinsmac thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense, any Idea what a good asking price is? As much as I can get?