Logic board issue? (8600M GT???)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boobooq88, Jul 18, 2009.

1. boobooq88 macrumors regular

So here I am with my broken Macbook Pro :(

Starting with the important specs I believe can be associated with this issue:

2.2GHz C2D Santa Rosa
    8600M GT 128 MB VRAM
    4GB RAM (from OWC)
    15.4" LCD (LED backlit) 1440x900 Res

Anyway so here we go.

The problem is that the computer boots up but the screen doesn't turn on. Seems to be a fairly common problem. Also, no video output to external monitor. Tried tinkering with some things.... opened it up and check some connections and stuff (yes I used anti-static equipment). So my suspicion has been that it is a problem with the 8600 GT. Took it to the Apple store this morning and had it checked out. They ran some tests on it and apparently the 8600 GT "passed the test." Problem is that because of a dent on the bottom of my computer (been there for a while... i'd guess a year or so.... so I doubt it has anthing to do with this issue) my warranty has been voided.

So I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the logic board... just not sure what (or maybe broken scrren or bad connection of some sort?). Anyway... just here to ask what you guys think the issue might be. I can repair this myself no problem I just don't wanna waste money buying something that didn't need to be fixed.

And a side question that I have is... Would I run into any issues if I were to replace this board with a 2.4GHz 256 MB VRAM one instead?

Thanks guys

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

How big of a dent? where is it exactly? any pictures?

3. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

you're basically blown at this point if they made a case# noting that there was hardware damage. if they didn't, take it to an authorized service center and sometimes they can just send the part back under warranty without letting :apple: see the case.

4. boobooq88 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try to get some pictures up in a bit... It's a small dent, but right on the cooling vent. I have a hard time believing that it's "significant damage" myself. But I am gonna try to take it to another Apple store around here cuz you just never know.

I have no idea if they made a case number or not.... I don;t think they did cuz the guy never mentioned anything about it. Plus I've been helped by him before and he seems pretty chill.

On another note though.... I do have a new HDD that I installed myself in there so that could still be a potential problem. I would throw the original back in there but I have no way of installing OS X back on it (been using it as an external drive).

Oh well.... I'll figure something out... I hope.

Still would like the side question answered though :p

5. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

About your side question, my guess is it might work - since logic boards are a single piece... but to be sure, ask the service person you take it to for the GPU problem.

About the dented zone, how bad is it? it makes me wonder, why they try to invalidate your warranty for it...

6. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Connect your original hard drive via USB.
    Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable backup from your new drive onto your original drive then you can swap the drive back in.

(this is assuming your new drive contents will fit onto your old drive of course)

7. boobooq88 thread starter macrumors regular

Finally.... here's some pics. Taken with iPhone camera so sorry if quality isn't too great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But yea... small dent... but maybe it has to do with the location?? :confused:

8. boobooq88 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha... would try it but 2 problems.... I can't see what I'm doing on the computer... and the old HDD is 160 GB and new one is 500 GB :p with more than 160 GB of stuff on it

Thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

9. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

10. boobooq88 thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently so .... :confused:

11. fs454 macrumors 65816

Okay, get into Attack mode here. This will cost you a little paper and time. This is what I did, just before Apple announced officially that they acknowledged these chips were dying. At this point, they were flat out denying it and pretending nothing was wrong. This worked for me getting my Logic Board/CPU/GPU combo replaced by the same symptoms as yours, 5 months out of warranty. Bill was $900, I was charged $0 and it was covered.

1. Go to a different Apple Store. Some are simply unreasonable.

2. Go to this topic:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515067

And print it out. There's 73 pages of web content there, lots of paper.

3. Get as many 8600M GT articles as you can and bring them in with you as well. Good one to take in is Dell's acknowledgement of the problem and promise to fix all affected computers.

3. Make an appointment and take it in. Argue that this is not fair that, even though you don't have a warranty(see point 4), you have to pay for and own a $2000+ machine that basically was a ticking time bomb acknowledged by the industry to fail within three years, and here it is failing. Pull out your stack of paper and show the 1803 posts in this topic full of people having the same exact problem with the same exact symptoms. Show them your articles.

4. Question your warranty coverage, that is bullsh*t. When I had brought mine in, there were more, larger dents on it than that.

5. Hopefully get it replaced and have a beer!

6. Recycle the paper.

If not, sjobs@apple.com awaits your mail. This really is/was a ridiculous time in Apple Computer history that was entirely nVidia's fault. All affected computers should be replaced/fixed at nVidia's cost for the lifetime of the units.

Note you'll be getting a timebomb replacement as well. I've been using mine for almost a year since then with no problems but I don't use it as much anymore. I can't really depend on it. If you get it fixed, I'd sell it and get a new one with the 9600M...

I could rant forever about this issue.

12. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

I saw the pictures: NO WAY!!! I can't believe they're voiding your warranty for that small dent!!!

I agree with fs454... they are being TOTALLY unreasonable: take it to a different authorized service provider. If that doesn't work, follow fs454's action plan.

I'm sure (and hope) things will work out for you.

Good luck.