Logic Board Issue or Something Else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoctorKrabs, Apr 10, 2015.

1. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

I manages to score a dead MacBook Pro 13 inch, i7 2.7 (2011). It was at no cost to me, and I'm fortunate to have received it.

The system doesn't power on at all, which would suggest a broken logic board. Replacing the logic board in this model would be $600 if I got one with the same CPU.

Since I don't want to do that, I want to find out if the issue is really the logic board. It does things that a MacBook Pro with a dead board doesn't usually do. The internal battery is fully charged and the side button shows the seven green, solid dots as usual. Also, the MagSafe connector shows a solid green dot when it is plugged in, nothing strange about it.

I tried touching the "power pads" together to force it on, and nothing happened. I tried resetting the SMC and NVRAM, still nothing. I tried the SMC bypass and nothing happened. I put in different RAM, still made no difference. I unplugged the internal battery and plugged it back in, still nothing. I don't think it's the keyboard, since the power pad method would have worked if it was.

Everything suggests that it's dead except for the fact that plugging it in shows a green light on the charger and it also triggers the battery lights on the left side just like a working MacBook Pro.

If someone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

2. DoctorKrabs thread starter macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs