Logic Board Repair Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cforand1293, Jun 4, 2012.

1. cforand1293 macrumors regular

So, I just bought a 08 Macbook Air off a guy for 60.00. The machine had liquid damage and will power up and has something on the screen but you can not see it very well. The screen is very very dim. I think it is going to need the logic board replaced. I have searched a lot of places and looks like I can get it done for around 250-300 via ebay. Just trying to get the machine running for the kids.

Is there any place I should use or any other. Is it even worth fixing?

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I wouldn't bother - you are guessing it's the logic board, but what if you since $300 (now a total of $360) and find out it still doesn't work?

3. cforand1293 thread starter macrumors regular

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

There are way better choices for kids than a 2008 Air. This is a pretty old, pretty fragile road to go down - but your choice.

5. Reidan macrumors member

It may not be the logic board. I have never torn into a MBA looking at the LCD panel and back light. But the fact that you say the screen works, but is dim, makes me think it is the display panel or the back light. Two types of back lights, compact fluorescent or LED's. I do not know which the MBA uses, but I suspect the LED style as fluorescent is the older style.

So it may be that the back light "bulb" is bad, or maybe the power circuit that powers the light is not putting out the correct voltage, thus making it dim. But I would imagine that the board that powers the back light is part of the main board. That would put you back to repairing or replacing the logic board.