Logic board repair (water damage)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digitalpencil, Jul 17, 2012.

1. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Hi,

A colleague of mine spilled water (only water) over his MBP 13" i5, rendering it somewhat useless. I've lifted the back off and had a look at the damage and can see corrosion spots across the logic board but nothing too awful. Machine won't power up, battery indicators fail to illuminate, hdd, ram screen etc. is all fine by the looks of things, just the LB which is damaged (possible keyboard damage too).

We've bought a new one to replace it but this one is basically dead so I thought i'd have a look at fixing it. I've read people have success repairing them with contact cleaner (isopropyl alcohol), compressed air, soft-brushes and thermal paste so thought i'd give it a go.

Has anyone done anything similar? Know of any good reading material, tips etc?

I'm aware it's a long shot but have heard of others having success with it so thought it worth a try. Any advice as always is greatly appreciated.

2. Shamil macrumors newbie

i got a friend using a macbook 2008 model.somehow the logic board or motherboard broken.the cost to repair is expensive.apple recommend me to but a new macbook rather than repair it.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Your response doesn't really help... The OP already said that they replaced the original logic board and just want to give fixing this one a try. He doesn't have anything to lose, so why not?

OP, I haven't tried it myself, but there's a thread on ifixit.com that talks about using alcohol. I've seen many others around here recommend it, too.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/46173/Cleaning+a+logic+board...
    Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

4. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Thanks sweetbrat, draining the caps looks like the biggest job. I'm going to try cleaning the paths/corrosion spots by hand as opposed to soaking it. I'm doubtful it'll come back to life but worth a try.

Thanks again for the thread suggestion.