Logic board repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marteney1, Jul 13, 2011.

1. marteney1, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

marteney1 macrumors newbie

Apparently all it takes to kill a MBP is about 5 drops of liquid in the right place (I know, I know. My MacBook doesn't like vodka as much as I do). Anyways, I need to replace my logic board, and I was curious if anyone has tried out the repair option, where you ship your laptop and they repair it and send it back. This one appears to be highly recommended, but I'm hesitant to send my machine off to some random store halfway across the nation to be fixed.

http://www.l2computerinc.com/

I found a logic board on ifixit, but it isn't currently in stock, and I'd like to get my computer back in working order as soon as I can. I waited about 3 years to be able to afford it, and going back to my girlfriend's POS Toshiba is killing me...

Any help you guys could offer is much appreciated.

Oh, and I plan on investing in one of these guys, too. Haha
    http://www.amazon.com/moshi-ClearGu...I2DA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310572282&sr=8-3

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

If your brave enough, why not buy a logic board off ebay and DIY?

You'll save more money then buying through ifixit, or a third party repair solution.
    I needed to replace the ribbon cable on my top case, and it was 60$ from ifixit. I fould it for 10$ on ebay.

3. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

As I read your story I just pictured you with an eye dropper dropping little droplets of vodka on your keyboard

4. marteney1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I was going to buy a new (used) one and do it myself, but that makes it $500-600 instead of the $265 these guys charge. Just didn't know if anyone had any experience with the repair. I had one picked out last night and was going to order it today, and it sold sometime overnight... bah....

My drink started to tip towards it, and I swatted it the other way. Got it all over my table and carpet, but a few drops splashed back towards my computer. It would.

5. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

I had to have the logic board on my early 2008 MBP replaced; when I took it to Apple they quoted a $310 flat rate fee and even offered to have it shipped to my house so I didn't have to come back to the store.

I'm not sure if this would apply in your case since you have liquid damage, but it's worth a shot if you don't trust a third party to do it.

6. marteney1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found a logic board on ebay for $400 shipped from Hong Kong. Replaced it the other day, and it's working like a charm! Sorry I can't offer any help to anyone regarding the repair service, but hopefully someone can get something out of this thread.....