Logic board repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SForever, Apr 19, 2009.

1. SForever macrumors newbie

I'm a techno-novice and I'm trying to repeat terms that are gibberish to me. My iMac G5 just came from the genius bar, where they told me that my logic board needed to be replaced -- parts and labor close to $700, which makes it uneconomic to repair at all. I believe the diagnosis was "a couple of capaciters" were blown/fried/whatever. Is there any choice short of replacing the entire logic board, or is this machine toast?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

may be able to look for a replacement logicboard online (ebay or something) and see if there's an apple authorized service center in your area that will help you out.

4. MTI macrumors 65816

If you're a novice at de-soldering/solder and don't want to practice on some other bad piece of equipment or your iMac . . . check with your local TV/Electronic repair shops, find the oldest guy there and ask how much it would cost to do the soldering.

Of course, you'll save the most if the repair person does not have to tear down the iMac. Getting to the logic board is mostly just unscrewing and lifting parts out to clear the way. Use one of the many online guides, a Torx 6 & 8 screwdriver (Apple loves using Torx); an expired credit card or similar to use as a plastic wedge, and then some small normal philips and flat screwdrivers. Put the logic board in a good sized anti-static back and deliver it to the repair shop.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

There are some 3rd party shops like ifixit, pbmedic, etc. Give them a call - they can probably do a bit better than the Apple estimate.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You might as well just think about getting a new iMac anyways. PowerPC is on its way out, and for $700 you could just spend an extra couple hundred to get a used Intel iMac.

7. MTI macrumors 65816

"Repair" prices by Apple . . . is really replacement, since there's no great diagnostic investigation, just swap the part out. Like going to the service dept of your car's dealer with an oil leak . . . and being charged for a replacement engine. ;) So, $700 isn't really the price of a bona fide repair, which may, even with labor and parts, actually only be around $75 ($10- $20 in capacitors and $40-$50 in labor charges if someone else does the soldering.