Logic board replaced, Boot Camp broken.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by threadsniper, Feb 2, 2011.

1. threadsniper macrumors newbie

I recently had the logic board in my 27" iMac replaced. Everything works beautifully, except my Boot Camp install. Using my Quicksilver script to reboot into my Windows 7 partition I am presented with a solid gray screen for several minutes before the system automatically restarts into OSX. When booting with the option key held down, the screen stays stuck on the disk selection screen after selecting the Windows partition. Then, as with before, the system automatically reboots into OSX.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

My assumption is to use the Windows disk and do a repair installation, but I was trying to prevent this as the disk is currently unavailable and I need to access some applications as soon as possible.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think your proposed approach is sound.

In the meantime, you may try launching your Windows partition using VMWare Fusion or Paralells or Virtualbox.... (Don't import it, because that will create a new copy of your Windows install).

B

3. threadsniper thread starter macrumors newbie

Great suggestion. I have VMware installed and use it to bridge my Windows installation for testing page rendering in Windows-based browsers; not sure why I didn't think of doing this earlier.

Thanks a bunch.

4. threadsniper thread starter macrumors newbie

VMware loads the installation, but I cannot repair the install with any of the default options and am left, sadly, where I started. Are there any recommended steps to take?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Gain access to your Windows disc and boot from that. Or, if your internet access is good enough, download an official ISO from digital river or a place like that. Burn it to disc and be done with it.

B

6. threadsniper thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have the disk in my possession now, so no worries there. I'm a little lost as to what to do with the repair. Normally I would fix the master boot record with a problem of this sort, but will this not cause issues with the way OS X handles its own booting protocol?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Let W7 figure it out using the Startup Repair Wizard, but proceed only with a backup. It may not be the MBR, but the BCD that is messed up.

B

8. threadsniper thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, B. I'll give this a try and see what happens.