logic board replaced... now fans wont stop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webgoat, May 16, 2008.

1. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

one day tried turning on my computer and the screen was completely black with the indicator light solid... took it to downtown chicago apple store genius bar and they replaced the logic board and got it workin again... ever since i got it back though the fans will not stop spinning loud and in excess compared to before the repair... were my fans not working properly before which led to the hardware failure and now they are or did apple jack em up to prevent from having to do another repair for me? the comp is in the same exact spot as before with same room temperature... ive heard about smc fan control, is that program alright to use? i just want my computer to be silent again

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

What are the temperatures reading on the MBP (use temperature monitor or something of the sort)? I would recommend you take it back to the Apple store ASAP and show them the problem, they should be able to fix it for you, but don't try to take it into your own hands with any programs, take it to Apple... methinks they screwed up with application of thermal paste between the processor and heat sink.

3. webgoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

webgoat

heres a screenshot of my istatpro

edit: celcius of course

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Take a screen shot of "activity monitor" (in your applications -> utilities folder or just search in spotlight) with "all processes" selected. CPU usage is the important thing here.

5. webgoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

webgoat

k

Attached Files:

6. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

OK then it's a hardware problem not a software one, you can try smc but I think you should take it to apple.