Logic board replacement 2013 15" rMBP, have you had one done?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwijbo, Oct 5, 2014.

1. kwijbo macrumors regular

How long did it take? Store told me 3-5 days, seeing as this is my work computer its difficult to be without it for that long. Can they be done sooner?

Any chance the store would replace the laptop for me considering its only 3 months old and I've had this issue since day 1 (documented through numerous calls and store trips)?

2. peace4al macrumors newbie

3. kwijbo thread starter macrumors regular

Can't connect more than one bluetooth device, can't connect to certain networks depending on encryption type (seems to be mostly TKIP), inconsistent pings when using constant connection programs (VOIP, browser based games).

4. Doug Hope macrumors member

Doug Hope

I had mine done by an apple authorised repairer under warrenty in Edinburgh. Took them 5 days then another 5 to replace the top case after chipping it. The main wait seemed to be waiting for the part to come in. So the told me.

5. kwijbo thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly my fear. Pretty outrageous to expect you to be without your $2,000+ machine for 2 weeks.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

First things first.

Have you tried a reinstall of OS X?

Secondly, is the Bluetooth issue reproducible every time (e.g. trying to have an Apple Keyboard and Magic Mouse connected at the Apple store?).

There is nothing on the logic board which would cause bluetooth issues. That would be the AirPort/BT card (which I believe is on one card). MLB is an hour (including testing) repair - but they'll probably have to wait for the part, or wait for time to do it. After 3 months, if it's a verifiable issue, I would be asking for a replacement machine instead of a major repair (especially as they seem to have misdiagosed the issue).

7. kwijbo thread starter macrumors regular

Haven't done a reinstall, did PRAM reset, guest account, checked drive for errors, etc. with support on the phone. Is there really a chance the OS could incorrectly install from the factory?

Yes, went to the store and tried the same two peripherals on another computer, also tried different peripherals on this machine.

I forgot to detail the work order in the initial post - its for the logic board, wireless card and something else, I'm forgetting the third part. I had the same thought about just replacing the wireless but they said since they couldn't isolate it well enough they decided to do logic board also.

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm going to request the replacement.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If they're suggesting a three-component repair (including the MLB) on a 3 month old machine I would suggest a replacement is in order.

And yeah, it's perfectly possible for the OS install to have issues (e.g. something didn't write quite correctly during the imaging process), or that something (time machine backup or whatnot) has interfered since.

9. xpcker macrumors regular

define "outrageous"

suck it up dude, say thanks they are changing it.

10. kwijbo thread starter macrumors regular

Any issues I've had with Dell in the past have been rectified by either a tech being sent to me, a replacement part if user serviceable, or if the issue is as intensive as a logic board a replacement is usually supplied within a week.

"Thanks" for a defective computer? Considering its under warranty its simply a fulfillment of my rights.

11. kwijbo thread starter macrumors regular

Tried for the replacement at 2 stores and on the phone with AppleCare, denied. I was fortunate enough to be offered their Joint Venture service for $500/year, which would get me a loaner! :rolleyes:

What's really frustrating is, if this was noticed at the factory it would never have made it to a customer's hands, yet since it slipped through the cracks I'm now stuck with it.

So essentially I purchased a new rMBP for $2,000 and ended up with a refurb while also wasting time on phonecalls to AppleCare and trips to the store (probably 10+ hours at this point).

12. zoe5ive macrumors newbie

Hi... You really deserve a new unit. I would just get a usb WIFI and usb bluetooth adapter over letting them swap the main board. 0 downtime and you wont have to worry about running into new issues with the refurb? board.

Good luck.