Logic Board replacement for Core Duo Macbook Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wonton2112, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Wonton2112 macrumors newbie

Hello All!
    This is my first post, although I've read through this forum an awful lot, I finally had a reason to register. Anyhow, I recently bought a Macbook Core Duo 1.83GHz that is developing a logic board issue. Now I have no quams with performing laptop surgery, but I was wondering if I can upgrade at this point. Is it possible to put a C2D logic board into my CD macbook? The price difference between the 1.83GHz CD and the 2.4GHz C2D logic board is small enough that I could afford to do that if it would work. And if I can't put a C2D logic board into it, can I at least go to the top of the line CD logic board? Thank you all for any assistance!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know...

Apple tends to move things around slightly between major revisions, speed/feature bumps tend to be drop ins.

Sometimes the next GPU/CPU will be a drop-in but there are times where Apple takes advantage of the chance to change things a bit to fix problems with an earlier revision.

3. bizzle macrumors 6502a

You could but you'd most likely need to change a lot of other things as well because of different connections. The inverter to logic board connector, among other things are different.

4. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's a bit of a downer... Just the same though, it should be a fun repair. I did happen to read somewhere that the C2D's don't have firewire, where-as the CD's do. And if that's the case, is a jump from 1.83 to 2.16 within the CD line considered major? Because I'd like to get to 2.0 or better without too too much headache.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The last 2008 plastic MacBooks still have FW.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP5

It got dropped with the switch to the Nvidia chipset ... the aluminum MacBook.

6. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah-ha! Well is it possible that anyone has a few good high-res pics of the newer logic boards? Then I could at least see how it would line-up with the case, and with any luck see if some of the connectors are different... I'd love to be able to squeeze everything I can out of this little machine.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hmm maybe check ifixit.com? they might, not sure

8. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good call. No really high-res images, but on the plus side, they claim that a 2.0 GHz logic board will fit in my 1.83GHz macbook. On a side note, are macbook processors replaceable? Coming from the world of PC's and this being my second mac ever, it seems odd that people only seem to sell logic boards, complete with CPU..

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i belive the cpus are soldered in, so unless you are a solder pro,and even then, it would be very difficult to actually swap them out

please keep us updated as i would love to maybe swap mine out for a c2d over my cd atm

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Notebook processors are soldered in. Most are because it ensures a constant connection with being move around all the time. Or so you'd think - those iBook chips could come off like nothing else.

11. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh, probably not worth the effort on attempting to desolder it. On the plus side, from looking at the ifixit website that you pointed out, duke, all of the external connections are in the same spots, so it will fit anyhow... just need to learn about a few things, namely power supply, the inverter for the lcd.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats good news. i would think the power req would be the same since they use the same batt and power adapter as the coreduo models. however, thats just my guess

no idea on the lcd though id wager its the same

13. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ran through the install of both the CD and C2D, and both are identical to the screw! Thanks for the info on the power, duke. I'm assuming the CD and C2D use the same ram(667mhz) and hdd(sata)? I know the LCD is identical, will look into the inverter...

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea they use the same ram (ddr2 667mhs pc2-5300 iirc) and sata hdd's

15. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to double-check as I'm likely to over-look something simple. And just an FYI, I'm looking at the 2.4 Penryn in comparison.

16. bizzle macrumors 6502a

It's more than just the inverter. It's the bluetooth module, fan connectors, temp sensors, which includes the heat sink assembly, battery connector and sleep switch and more.

17. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This is completely out of left field, and I apologize but...
    If you do successfully "upgrade" to a C2D logic board and processor, be aware that your OS restore discs will probably no longer work. They are machine-specific and your new "Frankenmac" will technically be a different model.

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, but I wanted to throw that out there.

18. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bizzle, are you speaking from experience? Because Macrecycling seems to claim that at least the 2GHz Core2Duo logic board is compatible with my current model.

19. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I know they vary a bit, and yes, from experience. I don't have every change on every revision memorized and what is compatible with what, but I do know, things do vary and change completely.

I am fairly sure that no Core 2 Duo main logic board is direct, drop-in replaceable in a machine that had a Core Duo board.

20. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Before you get too excited - the 2.4GHz will NOT fit in the CoreDuo bottom case.

There are too many differences - heatsink especially!!!

Speakers connections are different
    Bluetooth connection is different
    PRAM battery is not located on the logicboard on the Santa Rosa/Penryn models so you need new speakers and they don't fit on the old bottom case.
    There are more but I am sure you get the idea...

Upgrade the Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo - that is simple......

21. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright then, seems like my goal's been knocked down a few notches. Thank you both Bizzle and Logana. Now am I to assume that macrecycling is correct about the 2.16GHz C2D being a direct replacement? Logana, you stated upgrade the CD to C2D is simple, is this what you're referring to? Have you gone through this process before? If so, it'd be wonderful to have your assistance in finding the correct logic board for the upgrade.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know people have simply swapped a c2d in place of the cd in their mac minis. however, in the mac mini, it is not soldered in but socketed and hence muuuuuuuch easier

23. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

It would be nice if that were the case... And to fix my last post, it was 2.0GHz, not 2.16GHz. Too many tabs, it gets confusing sometimes! Anyhow, here's the link claiming compatibility: http://mac.macrecycling.com/logic-board-ghz-core-duo-macbook-13-white-p-100851.html It does mention need for a heatsink replacement, but otherwise, looks like a go! And thanks titan, I hadn't thought of that yet.

24. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Core 2 Duo (not SR) is a simple replacement though you will need a new heatsink and fan.

Is it really economical to pay £300-400 for a replacement logicboard though...

Sell your broken MacBook on eBay for £200-250 and buy a Core 2 Duo machine for £450.

25. Wonton2112 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already found a replacement logic board (C2D non-SR) for $200USD. Cheapest C2D Macbook I could find on eBay was $600USD. So the $200USD I bought the macbook for, and the $200USD for the logic board is still $200USD in savings. Fan/Heatsink assemblies run about $25USD, so I'm still saving $175USD.