Logic board replacement for early 2008 24" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mike Toole, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mike Toole macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2014
    Hi folks,

I'm not new to macs, but I haven't used one much in recent years. But this week, the trash fairy saw fit to allow me to stumble across a 24" iMac in a dumpster! I couldn't believe my luck. Sure, SOMEthing had to be wrong with it, but cosmetically it looked OK!

Upon getting it home, I was further amazed when it booted up... once. Very, very slowly (about 15 minutes.) I had a busy weekend, then tried it again last night. Instead of the slow-boot, it now just restarts over and over again, usually before the startup chime can even sound. To me, this would seem to indicate a faulty logic board (that's what google tells me, anyway). I did the research and discovered that using Apple to get a replacement will cost many hundreds of dollars, so I'd rather buy an OEM or secondhand board myself and do the replacement. I routinely replace optical blocks in LCD projectors, so I'm not intimidated by cracking open the iMac and swapping in a new board.

I just have one question: what's the specific part # for the iMac 24" early 2008 (aluminum) logic board? I just want to make sure I don't mistakenly order up the wrong item from eBay.

I'd also like to solicit advice: has anyone else done this repair? How were your results? Are there steps to take that will prevent a similar breakdown (I understand this is pretty common in older imacs)?

Anyway, the rest of the machine appears fine, so I'm pretty excited. :) Not as good as a TOTALLY FREE iMac, but a $150-200 iMac, especially with that beautiful 24" display, seems like a good deal to me. I figure if the repair sticks and I get an SSD, I can get another 2-3 years out of this machine, easily. Hope y'all can help!
  2. Fairfax macrumors member

Aug 15, 2011
    Deep Web
    If you want to find out the specific model number for the logic board you will need to go under the hood and take a peak (it was like that for my old macbook pro). Here is what I saw at apple discussions,

"Your logic board will have it's own SN, separate from your computers's SN. Called the EEE or logic board number. The EEE number is the last 3 of the last 4 numbers/letters of the logic board SN, IE: e801513wefpua, the EEE number is fpu. That's what you want to look for. It will be on a barcode...."

If you carefully follow the repair guide at ifixit and take your time you should have no problem replacing the logic board.
  3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2008
    USA (Virginia)
    These images supposedly came from the Service Manual for the Early 2008 iMac (24"). According to them, you need:

661-4666 for the 2.8 GHz logic board and 661-4667 for the 3.06 GHz one.

I purchased the 2.8 GHz model in May 2008. It's my "daily user" machine and it's going great! I put in 6 GB RAM, replaced the original HDD with an SSD, replaced the optical drive with a 2.5" 1 TB HDD, and set up a DIY Fusion drive running 10.8.5. I'm very happy with it and hope to get another two or three years from it.

Hope you can revive your find!