Logic Board Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sphirexx, Apr 22, 2014.

1. sphirexx macrumors member

I have a macbook pro model a1278 that may need a new logic board, would any a1278 logic board work or only specific ones? I plan on ordering one tonight or tomorrow. Thank you!

2. pricej636 macrumors 6502

You should be fine with just any for the a1278. I would definitely go for the fastest processor I could find, it shouldn't affect the price very much.

3. sphirexx thread starter macrumors member

i found two but when i looked up both models(replacing with the exact same logic board in the macbook currently and one that had a slightly lesser processor) the listing on everymac says the lesser macbook had 4 finger trackpad and the one thats the model im working on is inertial. will the logic board effect this?

4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Ah, yeah you will want to match up the year as well as the model number. In 2010 they introduced the inertial scrolling trackpad. Previous to that was the multi gesture 4 finger trackpad.

What year is your MBP?

5. sphirexx thread starter macrumors member

6. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Your MBP had inertial scrolling.

7. sphirexx thread starter macrumors member

So I would need the logic board of a MBP that also had inertial scrolling?

8. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I don't know if you NEED that or not, but I certainly would not put a logic board in that was older than the machine. Although Im pretty sure Apple enabled inertial scrolling via a software update for older machines.

I can't answer this 100% for you, but I know you can't go wrong matching the current logic board that you current have in it.