Logic Board Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GinsterMk3, Jul 8, 2015.

1. GinsterMk3 macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro. I have an issue that seems that have been very common with these years. When using my laptop it suddenly shuts off and restarts. Based on the code I keep getting and the search I did the video card is shot. Something Apple was aware of but I guess did not care.

Is it worth at this point being 5 years old just replacing the Logic Board? Would I end up encountering the same issue? I have not problem doing it myself if I go this route.

Or should I just look into purchasing a new laptop? Clearly this is the more expensive route. I love my mac, I really do. I just feel I can not be comfortable knowing Apple knows about issues like these that happen to many people but choose not to do anything about it. As much as one spends for this product I guess we expect more.

Just trying to see if anyone has any input on this, has had similar issue and what they did about it.

Thanks in advanced.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There was a recall program for it where users would get a free logic board replacement, but it expired already a few months back if I remember correctly.

Your best option is to buy a new one. Apple did do something about it, but you missed it.

3. GinsterMk3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I read about that too. By the time I started doing the research it was too late. Logic boards are running about $350 but I just do not know if 6 months from now I will run into the same problem as I imagine they use the same video card.

4. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

The recall is still ongoing.

I've just received my repaired MBP 15" Late 2011. So far so good.

EDIT: I think it also applies to your Mac.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Chances are pretty high that you'll run into it.

Might as well as take this opportunity to switch to a 13" rMBP, or a baseline 15" rMBP. The ones without dedicated GPUs (like the ones I mentioned) won't face GPU failures.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 2010 models had a separate repair program that has already expired.

7. GinsterMk3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Been considering getting something new. Now the trouble is do I want 13 or 15. I feel the 15 is just the right size plus the better hardware may just be worth the pay though the 13 is not a bad deal. I am not super Mac guy doing videos or anything crazy. What I have been getting into and wanting to end up do is coding/web design.

So the 13" rMBP or 15" rMBP do not have dedicated GPU? Could you explain this a little better for me. I have some knowledge but no genius. How is this different then what I have now. Obviously my 2010 is not retina.

Thanks.

8. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

The new MBPs are much thinner, I think for me this would be the biggest factor.
    Also, better battery life, faster processors (not sure how the dual core in the 13" compare to the quad core in your current 15"), SSD.

I'm also considering going from a 15" late 2011 MBP to a new rMBP. I'm leaning to get a 13" currently, and maybe in the future get an iMac for my photo/casual gaming needs.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In these computers, there is only an integrated GPU, which is part of the processor. So don't expect to play games on it (although the Iris Pro in the 15" can handle quite a fair bit of gaming). Since there is no separate (aka discrete/dedicated) GPU chip, GPU failure will never happen.

A discrete GPU like the R9 M370X found in the high end 15" can give one hell of a lot of extra oomph in games and software that leverages OpenCL, but since it's a separate chip, there is a chance that it can fail when its unleaded solder joints break free of the logic board, where the solder joints are weakened due to heat.

10. GinsterMk3 thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense. It was my impression that the my mid 2010 MBP was similar though with an integrated GPU and that is why the GPU could not be replaced to fix my current issue. Unless what you are saying that the newer ones have resolved that issue?

11. knockem macrumors newbie

I am so glad I found this post. I currently have the exact same issue and am wondering the same thing as far as buying a new on and if so which one. Thanks for your post and everyone that is assisting.

12. scaredpoet, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

"Expired" is a relative term with Apple. I too, had a 2010 MBP fail with graphics card issues, and took it in to a store after the program had long expired. Although they noted the effective dates had passed on the program announcement, they opted to do the repair for free anyway. there's another thread with other users who've had the same results.

It's by no means guaranteed that they will repair... some Apple employees go strictly by the letter of the repair announcements, and won't budge. But if you get a no, just take it to a different store or contact them on the phone, and you might get a better outcome.

13 inch rMBPs have integrated GPUs and no option for dedicated. 15 inch rMBPs come in both iGPU-only and dual integrated/discrete versions.

As i stated above: I would book an appointment, and take your MBP in to the store to get it looked at anyway. You might very well get lucky, and they might decide to replace the logic board for you anyway. Just be polite. It probably wouldn't hurt to subtly mention that you are looking to buy a new laptop soon, but that this has shaken your confidence in Apple a little. Don't overdo it though.

And if they do fix it for free, you can either keep it for another 5 years or so, or you have the option to do what I eventually did: sell a fixed, fully-functional 2010 MBP for more money (about $500) than you would've gotten otherwise ($0) and use that cash to defray the cost of buying a new Mac.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree that it is great that they're flexible and helping people out. I am just relaying the information posted on their support site.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203554

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm aware, and while the support site info is important, it's also important to share actual experiences in store. Particularly since they differ at times from what the support site states, in a way that can benefit the user.

15. GinsterMk3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Man I greatly appreciate everyones help here. I will definitely give it a try as it will not hurt to ask. If I can get it repaired I can save up some money and pay cash vs financing. After all other than that it works pretty well.

Maybe you can help with one more little thing, maybe something I am missing. She does seem to be running a little slow. Even after I have restored it it just does not seem to have that speed it once had. Is this common after 5 years? Obvious I have done updates as new iOS have come out. I imagine this contributes to slowing down? I really do not have much on my computer other than photos of my kids.

16. primaldivine macrumors newbie

primaldivine

This is great to know. I had an Apple Chat and they told me my MBP 6,1 Mid 2010 was not part of the recall, but I have had favors done for me at apple stores in the past, so was hoping that if I show up at a store I might get lucky.

If not... I saw some posts elsewhere about repairs to the GPU solder being possible in non-apple repair shops. Anyone had experience of that?

17. primaldivine, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

primaldivine macrumors newbie

primaldivine

If you succeed in getting the MBP graphics card/logic board issued then you might consider replacing your hard drive with an SSD drive. I did that and it felt like a new machine. I then went even further and replaced the optical DVD drive with a second SSD drive and so I now run the OS on one and all my media on the other. Super fast, for a five year old machine...

But now sadly, I have the GPU issue to deal with...
    Good luck with yours!

18. primaldivine macrumors newbie

primaldivine

It is only for the 15 inch, according to their online docs.
    It seems there never was a recall (anyone know differently?) for the 17 inch Mid-2010, although my machine exhibits same behaviours as the recalled ones.