logic board/trackpad/pricey repair issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lunamoth72, Oct 9, 2013.

1. lunamoth72 macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 MacBook that functioned perfectly, and then started having trackpad issues seemingly out of the blue. I took it to my local guy (not Apple, but I've dealt with them extensively in the past and been very happy with them). They're saying that the logic board needs to be replaced.

I guess what I'm looking for is a gut check - i.e., is a failing trackpad a symptom of a faulty logic board? I've done the Googling and it seems there is some evidence for yes, but I'm posting here in search of more opinions.

There was one additional issue, which was that the machine failed to sleep.

I should also add that I tried all the quick and dirty Internet-recommended trackpad fixes and workarounds.

Also, I'm sorry I don't have more specs about the specific machine, but this is really a general question: are trackpad/sleep issues a good indicator of logic board failure?

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Check to see if your battery is beginning to bulge. The easiest way to do this would be to place the battery upside down on a table and see if you can wobble it. A bulging battery can cause trackpad issues.

Even if it isn't the battery, I fail to see how a failing trackpad can lead them to believe it's a logic board issue.

3. lunamoth72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Done. :(

Even tried taking out the battery and running it on current, and nothing changed. Thanks.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

5. lunamoth72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mouse pointer moves as directed, but continually selects things - text, windows, drawing select boxes on the screen, etc. I don't have any kind of mouse connected to it - I know sometimes it can "think" it's clicked if the mouse is stuck in the click position.

It's possible to click to select, but only if I hold down the entire trackpad surface very tightly, and even then only about 15% of the time.

I tried changing the settings to "tap to click" but that did not help either.

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Sounds to me like it's the trackpad button. I had the same issue due to a bulging battery pressing up against the trackpad. I replaced the keyboard/trackpad and battery and all worked fine again.

Replacing the keyboard/trackpad takes maybe about half an hour and involves about two dozen screws or so.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Cheapest option. Disconnect the trackpad and use an external mouse. If the behaviour still continues maybe the computer has bit the dust. If not well you need a new trackpad.