logic board upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CrAkD, Jun 2, 2010.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

if anyone saw my previous thread my macbook got pretty severe water damage. im thinking about rebuilding her from the ground up just to see if I can do it. I had the whole thing apart and put it back together and have built custom pcs for years so im pretty sure I can. its an early 2006 core duo model. I was wondering if it would be possible to swap in a C2D logic board?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hmm, actually I'm not sure now that I think about it. If it's the pre-unibody Macbook C2D logic board it might be possible.

3. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

care to share the reasoning? as I've searched this a bit and aside from the fans being a little different most people say its doable. the body didnt change when they switched from Core Duo to C2D in 2006

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You are correct about the fan or rather the heatsink connections. Some of the later Core Duo MacBook have the same connections as the Core 2 models so you may not need a new heatsink/fan. Early Core Duos have what is called a 4 wall connection (vertical) - the late 2006 and mid 2007 Core 2's have a 3 wall (horizontal) connection. If you look at the fan connection on the early Core Duo then the early 4 wall connection is similar in style just a narrower connection.....

What you want to avoid is the late 2007 onward logic-boards which have totally different heatsinks, fans, speaker and bluetooth connections. They have a different style bottom case and the 2 are not interchangeable.

If you have a Core Duo then you are limited to the Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 2 Ghz and 2.16GHz logicboards.

5. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

were the 2.16ghz only available in the early 2007 models? So I can just search for 2.16ghz logic board and not worry about much else? or do you have a part number? Also What would I have to do to make the 3 wall connections work on the 4 wall?

6. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Dude, just buy a new computer, it will be most cost effective.