Logic board/ video card damaged?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MajorAwesome, Aug 20, 2009.

1. MajorAwesome macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a MacBook which I purchased new in Oct 2008. About 3 months ago I spilled some tea on it. I let it dry for 3-4 days and then turned it back on and everything worked until last week. Now when I turn it on I just get blue lines on the screen. It works fine however if I attach it to a monitor. I brought it to the shop and then said that I need a new logic board due to the water damage. I asked why it worked with a monitor and they said it was the video card. I asked why I monitor would not require a video card and they said it is the part of the video card that attaches to my computer's display. They said it will be $2000 (Canadian) to fix it. Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis or do you think they just saw that it was in contact with liquid so they say I need a new logic board?

Thanks in advance.

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I sure hope it was a MajorAwesome good cup of tea...

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Hard to tell. It's plausible either way, I think. Also, it's very hard to tell if it is the logic board or the display without replacing one of them. Honestly, considering the external screen works, I'd try the display first myself, but, who knows?

4. MajorAwesome thread starter macrumors newbie

don't you have something better to do?

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

No...

6. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

It wouldnt be worth it. thats almost as much as a new MacBook Pro.

Either use an external display or you can sell the thing.

Or if you are up to it you can order a new logic board yourself and install it yourself at www.ifixit.com.