Logic Drums

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nightscape94, Nov 18, 2010.

1. nightscape94 macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

Got my new iMac on Monday! It's unbelievably sweet!

I'm just starting to mess around with Logic Express 8, but I'm coming from Magix on Windows so I had a question about virtual drumming.

I'm trying to figure out if Logic has a self-contained drum program which allows you to plug in drum hits for each piece of the kit (kick, toms, snar, etc) on a rhythm map, or if there's good software for download or purchase that can be used for this purpose.

Magix had a cool drum kit which allowed me to do this, so instead of performing it live, or using a looper (which doesn't do the job on a rhythm-specific music, odd metered music, or syncopated stuff), I was able to place hits on a grid in 8th, 16th and 32nd note spacing.

Any idea how this is possible in Logic Express 8?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Basing the reply on Garageband, but Logic can do everything GB can and more.

There are several different software drum kits that work just like MIDI software synths etc. You can play on a MIDI keyboard or key them into the piano roll with the mouse, then change everything around as you see fit.

Edit: there are also loops that are based on the software instrument, so if you drag it into your timeline you should be able to loop, change hits, stretch it out and fill in whatever you want.