Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b4peace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Just tried to install Logic Express 7 on my Powerbook G4 OSX 10.4.11 w/ these specs (below) and got an error message at the very end of install -- at which point my laptop was making a whirring noise, like it was trying to take off!

Restarted the laptop and tried again but it wouldn't even recognize the DVD & spit it out.

Any suggestions on what's wrong and how to fix? Thnx :eek:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.7.1f1

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Just tried to install Logic Express 7 on my Powerbook G4 OSX 10.4.11 w/ these specs (below) and got an error message at the very end of install -- at which point my laptop was making a whirring noise, like it was trying to take off!

Restarted the laptop and tried again but it wouldn't even recognize the DVD & spit it out.

Any suggestions on what's wrong and how to fix? Thnx :eek:

Machine Name:powerBook G4 17"

Machine Model:powerBook5,3

CPU Type:powerPC G4 (1.1)

Number Of CPUs:1

CPU Speed:1.33 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU):512 KB

Memory:2 GB

Bus Speed:167 MHz

Boot ROM Version:4.7.1f1

Maybe I'm missing it, but what exactly was the error?

b4peace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Maybe I'm missing it, but what exactly was the error?

Thnx for your response. It all happened very quickly at the very end of the install process and from what I recall a dialog box opened and simply said "Error" - then the installation quit and the DVD was ejected.

I'm wondering if it's the DVD player - it was making quite a bit of whirring noise.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It may be the DVD drive... Have you tested this software on a different PowerPC Mac if you have one? Also, is the disk itself in good condition?

b4peace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Logic Express 7 Install Error

It may be the DVD drive... Have you tested this software on a different PowerPC Mac if you have one? Also, is the disk itself in good condition?

Have not tested software on other PowerPC - am thinking of having a diagnostic test run on my Powerbook and have the guy also try an install of the DVD on a different PowerPC.

I bought the Logic Express 7 off Ebay last week - in "open box" - and the disk appears to be in very good condition - will contact the seller to see what they say. But - I have had a few problems with my CD/DVD R/W player recently and I believe that's quite likely the issue.

Thanks for the feedback - any ideas/suggestions always appreciated ;)

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Have not tested software on other PowerPC - am thinking of having a diagnostic test run on my Powerbook and have the guy also try an install of the DVD on a different PowerPC.

I bought the Logic Express 7 off Ebay last week - in "open box" - and the disk appears to be in very good condition - will contact the seller to see what they say. But - I have had a few problems with my CD/DVD R/W player recently and I believe that's quite likely the issue.

Thanks for the feedback - any ideas/suggestions always appreciated ;)

Yeah I'm thinking it's the disk drive. I'm not familiar with the sounds that PowerBook G4 Disk drives make, so it may be normal for it to whine. Also, being that I don't own a PowerBook G4, I'm not too sure how easy they would be to take apart, but if you feel comfortable with doing so, you can figure out how to take the machine apart and remove the disk drive, open it up and then try to clean off the lens and remove dust.

Also, no problem. That's the way this community works if your new here. Just a bunch of PowerPC Mac enthusiasts, owners, collectors, or those that just know a lot and feel like helping out. I'm not sure if you are new here, if so, welcome. I'll retrieve my welcome paragraph and post it here.

b4peace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
Yeah I'm thinking it's the disk drive. I'm not familiar with the sounds that PowerBook G4 Disk drives make, so it may be normal for it to whine. Also, being that I don't own a PowerBook G4, I'm not too sure how easy they would be to take apart, but if you feel comfortable with doing so, you can figure out how to take the machine apart and remove the disk drive, open it up and then try to clean off the lens and remove dust.

Also, no problem. That's the way this community works if your new here. Just a bunch of PowerPC Mac enthusiasts, owners, collectors, or those that just know a lot and feel like helping out. I'm not sure if you are new here, if so, welcome. I'll retrieve my welcome paragraph and post it here.

Forgot to reply earlier - yes, I'm new here and really appreciate the help. Btw I was able to install the Logic Express 7 after restarting my laptop - it was the DVD player, I'm pretty sure - sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't. Anyway, big relief -- now to start creating my masterpiece! Thanks again :)

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Forgot to reply earlier - yes, I'm new here and really appreciate the help. Btw I was able to install the Logic Express 7 after restarting my laptop - it was the DVD player, I'm pretty sure - sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't. Anyway, big relief -- now to start creating my masterpiece! Thanks again :)
(This will work if you have another Mac.) Also, in the future, if you need to install software from a CD or DVD, you can go to Disk Utility on the other Mac, hit the "New Image" button, and then restore the new .DMG to a USB and then install from there.

Relentl3ss

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
hey guys, I know this is a super old thread but any chance someone shoot me a copy of logic express 7? I have some old tunes I'm trying to open up but I no longer have my dongle anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.