Logic Express 8 Vs Garage Band and Jam Packs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Derbus, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Derbus macrumors newbie

Derbus

I hope I posted this in the right post.

I am finally upgrading to a MacBook Pro sometime around January, and I am as excited as can be. I do some messing around with audio, but nothing too serious, just things for fun and to show people, every now and then for a school project etc...
    Mainly playing with samples and I'm looking to get more into it, and start some amateur DJ mixing.

That being said, I'm debating between Logic Express 8 and Garage band (plus several Jam Packs: Remix, Symphony Orchestra, World Music and Rhythm Section) since Logic would be cheaper.

Logic Express 8: $180 vs 4 Jam Packs: $360

Is Logic overkill for me?
    Should I just do Jam Packs?
    Do I even need the Jam Pacs?
    And real advantage on way or the other?
    testimonies? gripes?

I am all ears,
    thanks

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Since you are at Uni just get Logic Studio on the higher education discount. It is impossible to beat.

3. Derbus thread starter macrumors newbie

Derbus

But see, that would take up a lot of hard drive space...
    some 46GB of disk space...

"Available Disk Space

• 7GB to install all applications and required content
    • Additional 39GB to install all optional content (large content packages can be installed on separate disk):
    – 10GB for Jam Pack collections
    – 16GB for sound effects
    – 6GB for surround music beds
    – 7GB for other optional content"

It is tempting...
    I am thinking 250GB Hard Drive with about 90GB+ of music, photoshop, aperture, lots of high resolution photos, photoshop, and a couple of videos, and final cut express (maybe)

and maybe a windows partition for a game I like... maybe...

Overall I would like about 20GBs free just for the sake of running a smooth ship.

4. Derbus thread starter macrumors newbie

Derbus

you know what Cromulent?

Im just going to do Express since I'll be running on a laptop, if I need studio i'll get it. but for now I think Express versions are more attuned to my needs. That way I get to test the software with out making large investments, not to mention if did logic and final cut studios that is a good 100GBs plus a 90GB music Library. Plus this way I can get a feel for the apps with out being overwhelmed.

Thanks though.

5. North Bronson macrumors 6502

I bought Logic Studio for $199. It's a great deal.

You can, of course, choose which optional installs you want to put on the hard drive. I left off a lot of sound effects and music beds but did install some jam packs.

If you're thinking about going for Logic Express for $180 then definitely just go for Logic Studio.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

The only one I've used so far is the Symphony Orchestra one, and it's great if you ever want to use any orchestral instruments. Even the Concert Steinway is way better than the piano that comes with Garage Band. For the music I'm writing, though, I'm starting to outgrow Apple's instruments and hope to upgrade to something more high-end soon. They're a great start, though. Very good value for the money.

7. bot44 macrumors newbie

bot44

I was wondering about the quality of the orchestral instruments... would they fool anyone? And what would a more pro option be in that regard?

8. PKGuy323 macrumors newbie

As a re-visit to this forum, I'd like to add how GREAT Apple is with their pricing and upgrades.

I can purchase Logic Express 8 for $199.
    I can purchase Logic Studio for $499.

However, since I don't have $499 to plunk down, I can purchase LE 8 for $199 and get most of the features of LS...and if I decide to upgrade, I can upgrade for $299....essentially, the same $499....just paid out over time.

Any catches to this?

If I go this route, will I be able to purchase the next Logic Studio version as an upgrade when it comes out?