Logic Express 9

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SupremeTeam, Sep 9, 2010.

1. SupremeTeam macrumors newbie

SupremeTeam

wassup, i just came up on Logic express 9 and just wanted to get some insight on this. I usually get down on Garageband, I'm new to logic and wanna know some good tips, I opened logic and really didn't know where to begin aha but any help would be great. thanks

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

It would be nice to know what you are trying to accomplish first.

3. SupremeTeam thread starter macrumors newbie

SupremeTeam

4. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Are you looping sequences? Are you laying down originals? What type of music? What do you want to do with the music? Have you done anything like this before (and what did you do with GarageBand?)?

5. SupremeTeam thread starter macrumors newbie

SupremeTeam

i haven't done anything like this before, im a newbie i just messed around on garage band but really never looked into it. now im trying to get serious with some software because im use to hardware like my MPC. Anything you can throw at me would be helpful. I mostly mess with hip-hop, like J.dilla or Black milk type of beats. i wanna make some beats like throw some drum kits/samples down, learn how to loop and chop samples using straight logic. where to even start is the main question!!

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Look here:
    http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/logic+studio-suite

Here is a "free sample"
    http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logicfirstlook

Spend $20 and buy a one month subscription to this web site. They have some great Logic 9 training videos. The $20 will get you all you can watch for a month. Vides tend to be one to 6 hours hours each so at one hour per night, four nights a week and you will finish their 16 videos in a few months. You can by a $1 "day pass" subscription and just spend a complete Saturday non-stop. But the information overload will be to much to remember.

I find these really do work but you MUST mix actually try and do what your learn yourself and not just passively watch

There is no short cut to learning Logic. It will take months even if you set up a study schedule. Kind of like learning to play Guitar, not a weekend project

7. deej999 macrumors regular

+1 for macProvideo.com

theyve got a 50% sale on download tutorials now until wednesday.
    use this code -
    10backtoschool50

oh yeah and there's 20% off the monthly sub-
    http://www.macprovideo.com/plans/new/pro20

Both offers are a bargain!

As Chris says, give yourself some time to learn the basics and then explore some more. The videos will help you a lot... especially with Logic 101 basics and recording and editing and then look for Ultrabeat tutorial to start creating your own beats and the ES2 tutorial on understanding how to program synths.

deej

8. dubstar macrumors member

I recommend macprovideo also, good stuff.

You can look at other tutorials on youtube also, just to get some basics.

look for "sflogicninja". he has some good stuff.

9. mannix87 macrumors 6502

Logic is less user friendly than GB & you really have to do your research. in fact, if you dont do your research & just try to wing it, you might actually acquire bad habits w/c you may not be able to undo/unlearn later on. logicninja & macprovideo are good places to start. Future Music with its video tutorials by pro DJs/producers are also great sources.