Logic Express-Effects

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by questions, Jan 14, 2009.

1. questions macrumors member

I'm kinda of new to logic and am wondering if there is a way to add an effect (e.g. verb) to part of a track without creating a whole new track for a certain piece and inserting one of the apple or logic built in effects. I don't have a mixing board, so this is the way I've been doing this. Is there another way?

2. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

You can't apply an effect to a single region within a track. You have to apply it to the entire track.

However, you can automate the effect so that its parameter can change throughout the timeline. For example, you can have a 'verb whose mix is very wet during one part of the song, and dry during others. You can be very specific, drawing many, many nodes and changing any (or almost any) parameter of the effect, just as you would with a volume or pan curve. You can even toggle the effect on or off at any time, with automation.

That being said, if you're not running into a performance limit re: cpu and disk speed, it might actually be easiest to split parts onto new tracks and load the effects you want for each part. If I had a clean guitar with chorus during the verse and a dry, distorted guitar with octave doubling for the chorus, I'd probably put them on different tracks. Otherwise I'd have a hard time keeping my head straight when mixing.

Also, something I didn't know is that a lot of folks with use the verbs on an aux channel, rather than separately on each track. Then each track can dial its aux send percentage to the verb without having multiple instances of what can be a heavy cpu-load effect.

Let me know if I can clarify the concepts or get you started with the specific keystrokes for doing the above. FWIW, I really learned a lot from this book:

linky

3. questions thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure what the aux channel is or how it is utilized.

I should probably point out that I am editing spoken word for a movie. I usually edit my songs in the manner I mentioned without a problem, but I'm a little overwhelmed editing this short because there are so many little different things that need to be fixed.

4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Can you say a little more about what kind of effects you'd like to be using on the spoken word? How would the effects change throughout the movie? Are you talking two or three different settings, each of which would be used for long stretches of time? Or more numerous and rapid changes?

5. questions thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I think I could just adjust the volume which I know how to do and try and get rid of some of the background nose.

I am trying to remember how I am supposed to export the project into logic so it's syched up and I can watch the video while I'm editing the in logic.

6. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

What format is the movie in?

In the arrange area, right click on "Global Tracks" space in the upper left hand corner. From the contextual menu select "configure global tracks". In the resulting dialog check the "video" box. This will open a new "track" at the top of the arrange area. In this track's header will be a "open movie" button. Click it and you should be on your way.

7. questions thread starter macrumors member